The Centre has justified its move to deny a passport to underworld don Dawood Ibrahim's sister, Haseena Ibrahim Parker, by claiming before the Delhi High Court that she cannot be allowed to go abroad in view of extortion charges against her.
"She cannot be issued a passport as she is being tried for criminal offences in Mumbai. We have got a detailed report from Mumbai police and we would file our response on her plea," advocate Sanjeev Kumar Dubey, appearing for the Centre, contended before Justice S Ravinder Bhat of Delhi High Court, while seeking time to file its response.
The Government's response came on a petition filed by Haseena Ibrahim, seeking the court's direction to it to issue her a passport.
She had applied for a passport but Regional Passport Office in December 2006 had refused her plea on the ground that she might not come back to India if she travels abroad using a passport.
Haseena, who has been booked by Mumbai police on extortion charges, contended in her petition that it was her fundamental right to get a passport and travel abroad.
The Mumbai police had registered an FIR against Haseena on April 21, 2007 on the complaint of an real estate agent alleging that she had kept for herself one crore rupees which was given by him for slum rehabilitation.
The trial court later granted bail to Haseena and her associate in May 2007.
Centre Denies Passport to Dawood's Sister
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Explained: What Is N440K Covid Variant? Is It More Virulent? Know What CCMB Says
- What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection In Covid Patients; Check Dos And Don’ts Here
- Mamata Banerjee Retains Ministerial Core As 43 Take Oath Today
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Will You Need An E-Pass For Travelling From Noida To Delhi? Know Here
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Can Hot Water Bath Or Drinking Warm Water Prevent Covid? Govt Answers
- Lockdowns And Curfews: List Of States, UTs Clamping Down Against Covid-19
- Himanta Biswa Sarma To Take Oath As Assam Chief Minister Today
- The Shadow Of Satellite On Negroponte Switch
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly