The CBI today opposed the bail application of suspended NCP MP Padamsinh Patil, arrested for his alleged involvement in the 2006 murder of Congress leader Pawanraje Nimbalkar, stating that he is the prime conspirator in the case.
"There is strong circumstantial and direct evidence against Patil to prove that he was the prime accused who hatched the conspiracy to kill Nimbalkar," CBI said in its reply filed before a sessions court in Alibag.
Patil, who was arrested in June this year, had approached the court last week seeking bail on the grounds that his custody was not required anymore as CBI has filed its chargesheet in the case.
CBI, however, argued that if released on bail, Patil might influence the witnesses and tamper with evidence.
The sessions court is likely to pass its order on the bail application on September 17.
Patil had in July this year approached the sessions court seeking bail. The court had however rejected the plea after observing that it was a serious offence and that there was prima facie evidence against Patil.
The CBI in its 5000-page chargesheet had named Patil as the prime accused among eight other accused for allegedly hatching the conspiracy and murdering Nimbalkar and his driver Samad Kazi in June 2006 due to political and business rivalry.
CBI Opposes Padamsinh Patil's Bail Plea
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Truce Is The Only Option For EPS And OPS In Tamil Nadu
- Three Accidents In Atal Rohtang Tunnel In 72 Hours Since Inauguration
- Coal Scam: Court Convicts Former Union Minister Dilip Ray, Others
- In Den Of Match-Fixers, Why BCCI's Fraud Detecting System For IPL Still Has Holes
- How Axar Patel Caught RCB In Web Of Spin
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- Judge And Hangman: Media Trial In Sushant Death Case
- Covid-19 Virus Can Infect People More Than Six Feet Away: CDC
- Richa Chadha Files Defamation Suit Against Payal Ghosh
- Ashwin Leaves Finch With 'Mankading' Warning
- Junior Commissioned Officer Killed In Shelling Along LoC: Army
- Pompeo To Meet Jaishankar In Tokyo
- Life As A Dalit - A Curse In Casteist India
- Delhi Capitals Will Be Hard To Beat In IPL 2020, Says RCB Skipper Virat Kohli