CBI has arrested a senior official of Securities and Exchange Board of India and a middleman for alleged graft.
The agency arrested a Deputy General Manager of SEBI Avarjeet Singh and a midddleman Ashok Mehta for allegedly demanding and accepting a bribe of Rs 10 lakhs for getting an inquiry settled.
SEBI had barred an Ahmedabad-based share trading company from trading in September 2011 for alleged market manipulation using Global Depository Receipts (GDR) issues and initiated an inquiry against the firm.
"The DGM rank official of SEBI, who was conducting the investigation, had issued a show cause notice to the firm of the complainant. Meanwhile, the complainant came in contact with the middleman based in Mumbai who assured him to get the work done in favour of the complainant claiming close contact with the DGM rank official of SEBI," CBI said in a statement.
CBI Arrests Senior SEBI Official for Alleged Graft
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Bihar Will Take Worst Hit Due To Reverse Migration: Jean Dreze
- Coronavirus: 386 New Infections Reported In India In 24 Hrs, Total Cases Rise To 1,637
- TN: As COVID-19 +ve Cases Rise, Search On For Over 300 Who Attended Tablighi Jamaat Event
- Coronavirus Lockdown Reduces Flowers To Cattle Feed, Thousands In Floriculture Hit Hard
- Opinion: India Must Reconsider Nationwide Lockdown Lest Economy Falls Off The Cliff
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- 'Corona Crisis, Lockdown Will Result In Unprecedented Economic Devastation'
- 5 Trains, Thousands Of Passengers Being Traced For Nizamuddin Event
- Struggling To Get Your Medicine Due To Lockdown? Try These Options
- As Hospital OPDs Shut In Lockdown, E-consulting Comes To Rescue
- Amid Lockdown, Govt Comes Up With Domicile Law For J&K
- Lockdown May Have Debilitating Effect On Alcoholics, Drug Addicts
- Belligerent Indian Fans Declare Yuvraj, Harbhajan Anti-Nationals
- Wimbledon Set To Be Cancelled For First Time Since World War II