President Pratibha Patil's son and Congress MLA Raosaheb Shekhawat today explained to the district collector that the Rs one crore seized from a car on its way from Nagpur to Amravati was meant for poor party candidates.
Shekhawat, who was questioned by Amravati police in this connection earlier, today submitted his statements to the collector through his counsel, in which, he maintained that Rs 87 lakh was meant for distribution among 87 poor candidates while the remaining amount was to be spent by Amravati City and district Congress committee for election campaign.
He had made these claims earlier as well.
Cash of Rs 1 crore, which was being taken to Amravati from Nagpur in a car, was seized by police in the early hours of February 12.
Maharashtra Water Resources Minister Rajendra Mulak, in his reply to the collector submitted through his lawyer said he had no knowledge of the transportation of the money from Nagpur to Amravati.
Both Shekhawat and Mulak had been served notices by Amravati district collector.
Following the seizure, the Election Commission had directed the district collector and municipal commissioner to file a report about the incident.
Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) had also maintained earlier that the cash was sent by it for distributing it among Congress nominees for Amravati polls.
However, MPCC general secretary Ganesh Patil, who had also been served a notice, appeared in person before the collector and told him that the cash collected through coupons was diverted from Nagpur to Amravati.
Talking to reporters, district collector Mahiwal said there seemed to be some discrepancy in the statements of Mulak and those given by the driver of the car, who transported the cash in the vehicle.
Cash Seized Was Meant for Poor Cong Candidates
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- 'Cong Should Have Consulted Its FMs Before...': Sitharaman Reacts To 'Stealing' RBI Money Remark
- 'Produce Shred Of Evidence': Chidambaram's Family Challenges Govt
- UP Girl Student, Who Accused Ex-BJP MP Swami Chinmayanand Of Harassment, Goes Missing
- Pakistan PM Imran Khan Considering Complete Closure Of Airspace To India, Says His Minister
- High Schools In Kashmir To Reopen From Wednesday In Areas Without Restrictions
- Strong And Decisive Leadership May Not Help Always. It Can Cause More Damage Than Good
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Congress Demands White Paper On State Of Economy, Accuses Govt Of 'Snatching' RBI's Money
- 'Don't Demonise Modi' Not My Phrase...: Shashi Tharoor Hits Back At Critics
- Kargil War Hero Impersonates Senior To Fly Amit Shah's Aircraft, Probe Ordered
- Feroze Shah Kotla Stadium To Be Renamed After Late Finance Minister Arun Jaitley
- Sindhu's World Gold Vs Saina's Olympic Bronze: Gopichand Has His Say
- In First Such Incident After Article 370 Abrogation, Militants Kill Gujjar Man, Abduct Another in Kashmir
- US Open: Sumit Nagal Goes Down Fighting Against Roger Federer
- Sourav Ganguly Gives His Opinion On MS Dhoni's Imminent Retirement