Two members of former dictator Maumoon Abdul Gayoom's party today filed cases against ousted President Mohammed Nasheed inluding in connection with the grant of the multi-million airport project contract to Indian infrastructure firm - GMR Group.
Progressive Party of Maldives (PPM) member Ahmed Siddeeq in his police complaint accused Nasheed of awarding the Male International Airport to GMR by dissolving the company's board and establishing a new board after the decision was opposed.
The airport project, of about USD 500 million, is the single largest investment in Maldives and was seen as a major win for Indian companies in this Indian Ocean archipelago.
The grant of contract to GMR had come in under strong criticism from many political stakeholders, who are now part of the current government that came to power after Nasheed resigned on February 7.
The immediate fallout of the regime change was questions being raised about the future of airport venture.
Speaking to PTI earlier, GMR had officially said the political instability will not affect the project, which includes building a new state-of-the-art terminal building.
However, GMR had held numerous meetings with Indian High Commission officials here last month.
Cases Against Nasheed Over Airport Contract to GMR
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- How Vaccines Work And React On Different Body Types
- Bihar: 71 Corpses Recovered From Ganga
- 26 Covid Patients Die At Goa Govt Hospital
- Bengal Polls: Widespread Fear Of BJP's Agenda Torpedoed Its Chances
- China’s Wolf Warrior Warns Bangladesh Against Joining The Quad
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Paradigm Shift: Punjab Farmers Welcome Direct Payment System
- 32-Year-Old Garbage Collector Who Skipped Jab, Dies Of Covid In Shimla
- What Is Mucormycosis?
- AMU Doctor Dies Of Covid, Toll Of Staff Succumbing To Virus Rises To 35
- Payworld To Assist Rural Folks With Covid Vaccine Registration
- Assam Gets Its First Woman Finance Minister As Sarma Distributes Portfolios
- Why Team India Will Take Covishield?
- Sania Mirza's Fight With Depression