Actress-turned-author Seema Seth today failed to appear before a Delhi court to give it the script of movie Fashion to support her allegation that Bollywood filmmaker Madhur Bhandarkar and two others had stolen the "idea and plot" for their movie from her book.
Seth had been given three months by Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Lokesh Kumar Sharma to submit the movie's script to support her allegation against the three.
Seth was to appear before the court as per its earlier direction to her to produce "cogent and clear evidence to show that accused persons have infringed her copyright by producing film Fashion." She, however, did not turn up before the court.
The court had given her the direction, while refusing earlier to order registration of an FIR against Bhandarkar, producer Ronnie Screwala and writer Ajay Mongia on her complaint. The court has now fixed January 28, 2013 to hear the case.
Seth, in her plea, had contended Bhandarkar indulged in "clear-cut violation of the Copyright Act." She has also made Ronnie Screwala of UTV Motion Pictures a party in the case and had sought Rs 2.5 crore as compensation from them.
Seth had sought lodging of an FIR against Bhandarkar and others under "appropriate" sections of the IPC and for violation of the Copyright Act.
In her complaint, she had said the accused have violated her copyright on book by releasing the film in October 2008.
Refusing to order registration of an FIR against them, the court had said that there can be no copyright in an idea, subject matter, themes, plots or historical or legendary facts and violation of the copyright in such cases is confined to the forum, manner and arrangement or expression of the idea by the author of the copyrighted work.
Case Against Bhandarkar: Author Fails to Appear in Court
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Former Union Minister And Senior BJP Leader Arun Jaitley Dies
- As Opposition Leaders Head To Srinagar, J&K Administration Says Visit Will Disturb Restoration of Peace
- MSD: Three Musketeers Who Engineered Kashmir's Bloodless Coup, But Are Their Plans Sustainable?
- Spilling The Beans: How Murky Was Cafe Coffee Day Founder VG Siddartha's Death
- Brazil's Bolsonaro Authorizes Army To Help Fight Raging Amazon Fires
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- Donald Trump Hits Back At China With More Tariffs Amid Escalating Trade War
- PM Modi Arrives In UAE, To Receive Highest Civil Decoration
- 5 Maoists Killed, 2 Jawans Injured In Gunfight In Chhattisgarh
- Was Trying To Do My Best: Jadeja
- WATCH: Decoding What Nirmala Sitharaman's Announcements To Boost Economy Mean
- J&K's Integration Complete With Axing Of Article 370, Says Amit Shah
- Live, 2nd Test, Day 3: NZ Aim To Overcome SL Resilience, Trail By 243 Runs
- Sindhu Enters Semis At World Championships