The mortal remains of eminent cartoonist Mario Miranda were today consigned to flames after a funeral mass at his village in Loutolim near here.
The 85-year-old cartoonist and Padma Bhushan awardee, whose work spanning over six decades made Goa famous, breathed his last yesterday at his residence in Loutolim village, 40 kms away from here.
He had expressed his wish to his wife that he should be cremated and not buried after his death.
Miranda's coffin was moved from his residence to Saviour of the World Church in the village, where the mass was celebrated by Father Bolmax Pereira.
His final rites were performed at Pajifond crematorium in Margao town, five kms from his village.
Several dignitaries, including Goa Chief Minister Digambar Kamat attended the last rites of the artist and also visited his family.
Miranda, who received many national and international honours, including 'Padma Bhushan', the third highest civilian award of the country, in 2002 and Padma Shri in 1988, is survived by wife Habiba and two sons.
Miranda got his first break when The Illustrated Weekly of India (now defunct) published a few of his cartoons.
He got an opportunity to travel abroad after winning Fundacao Calouste Gulbenkian scholarship. He went to Portugal and then to London, where he worked for newspapers and in television animations.
During his career spanning several decades, Miranda illustrated numerous books, including Inside Goa by Manohar Malgaonkar, A Family in Goa and The Open Eyes by Dom Moraes.
Cartoonist Mario Miranda Cremated
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Jammu. Kashmir. Ladakh. Will Government's Ambitious Plans To Regain Paradise Lost Be A Misadventure?
- Army Claims Pak-Based Terrorists Planning To Target Amarnath Yatra, Govt Asks Pilgrims To Leave Valley
- Parliament Clears UAPA Amendment Bill, Centre Says No Human Rights Will Be Violated
- Ayodhya Mediation Fails; Hearing On Day-To-Day Basis From August 6, Says Supreme Court
- BJP-Led NDA Flexes Muscle As Parliament Fast-Track Key Bills; What's The Hurry? Asks Opposition
- Govinda Does Not Deserve The Lampoon Over Avatar Claims
- For All Practical Purposes, BJD Is Now A Part Of NDA
- After India's Chandrayaan-2, Time To See What Other Countries Are Planning On Space Front
- If Chandrayaan-2 Is Successful, India Will Grab Headlines Globally -- For A Positive Reason
- In Choosing New President, Congress Has Opportunity To Change Two Crucial Things About Party Politics
- Kashmir Press Club Polls: For Dignity Of 'Unbuttoned Shirts' And Space to Exchange Ideas
- Omar Abdullah, Mehbooba Mufti React Strongly To J&K Govt's Advisory To Amarnath Pilgrims, Tourists
- Rasoolan Bibi, Widow Of 1965 War Hero Abdul Hamid, Dies At 90
- Settle In MP, Will Treat You As A Daughter: Kamal Nath Tells Unnao Rape Survivor
- Virat Kohli's Rohit Sharma-Less Photo Feeds 'Split' Rumour Mill
- WI Vs IND, 1st T20I Preview: India Begin 2020 Cricket World Cup Preparations
- CBI Constitutes Additional Special Team To Probe Unnao Rape Survivor's Accident
- Odisha BJP Leader Expresses Regret Over Derogatory Remark Directed At Muslim Women
- Ashes | 1st Test, Day 2 Highlights: Rory Burns Bright As ENG Rule