Criticising the current visa system for students in the United Kingdom, NRI industrialist and educationist Lord Swraj Paul has appealed to British authorities to make it more "student-friendly".
"We can't stop the good and meritorious students from coming to the UK. Let's deal with the problem differently. A unique and pleasant characteristic of those good students coming here (the UK) is that it helps the British students as well," he told PTI.
"One of the major learning processes when you are able to work with each other from different nationalities, that itself is an education. I went to MIT in 1949 and I think I learnt as much by mixing with the students of different countries than just education," he said at a function here last evening.
The 82-year-old chief of the Caparo group and a Labour Party Peer appealed the UK government for making the visa system "pro-talent and pro-merit".
"I request the UK government for a better visa system for foreign students and also I'll speak about it in Parliament. The students coming here do a lot of good work for Britain and also remember us on returning and share the good things that exist here. See, we are almost getting free ambassadors," Paul said.
He admitted the persistence of some problems that the government faces like "overstaying" and "fake students", and said they should be dealt with in a stringent manner.
Lord Paul, a Chancellor of the Wolverhampton University, was speaking on the occasion of a scholarship initiative taken by the University for underprivileged girls here.
The University also awarded scholarships to fund education till higher secondary level to five primary school girls from a local school near Badarpur - Sapna, Nandini, Saraswati, Anjali and Shama - all belonging to BPL families.
Vice Chancellor Geoff Layer announced scholarships to 10 students next year, whose number would increase every year.
Can't Stop Good Students From Coming to UK: Swraj Paul
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Atal Tunnel: FIR Over ‘Missing’ Foundation Stone Laid By Sonia Gandhi
- RCB Vs KKR: Bangalore Hammer Kolkata By 82 Runs
- Madhubani Diary: Dalit Artist Paints A Portrait With Words
- Rhea Chakraborty Urges CBI To Arrest Neighbour For False Statement
- Casteaways: Hathras Throws Up Uncomfortable Questions For BJP
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Bollywood Producers Approach HC, Against Several Media Houses
- 100% Cut Off In DU Admissions
- Indo-US Defence Meet: US Likely To Go Hard On China
- Mumbai: Electricity Restored In Many Parts Of City, CM Orders Probe
- IPL 2020: Faltering CSK Up Against SRH
- Carlton Chapman Dies At 49
- Hathras Case: Victim's Family Members Appear Before HC
- Khushbu Sundar Dropped As Congress Spokesperson, Joins BJP Formally