A BSF helicopter on anti-Naxal duty crashed on the outskirts of Ranchi today, killing two pilots and a technician on board.
The advanced light helicopter (ALH) Dhruv was going to Chaibasa from Ranchi when its engine caught fire and it crashed in Khunti jungle, a senior BSF official said.
All three on board the Pawan Hans chopper, Captain Thomas, Captain S P Singh and technician Manoj Kumar Swain, were killed in the mishap, he said.
A team of CRPF personnel deployed in the area for anti-Naxal operation has been rushed to the area. Air Force too launched a rescue operation from Kalaikunda air base.
Jharkhand police chief G S Rath said the helicopter was cordoned off, and civil aviation and BSF officials would look into the cause of the accident.
IGP (Operation) R K Malik said the black box was recovered from the accident spot in Siladon jungle.
Dismissing speculations of Maoist role in the crash, he said the chopper crashed following a technical snag and caught fire.
Maintained by Pawan Hans and used as logistic support in the anti-Maoist operations in the state, the chopper took off at 8:40 AM from Birsa Munda Airport in Ranchi for Chaibasa in West Singhbhum district, Malik said.
The helicopter crashed about twenty minutes after it took off, Malik said.
BSF Helicopter Crashes Near Ranchi, Three Killed
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Day Before Counting, Election Commission Rejects Opposition Demand On VVPATs
- Party Workers Keep 24-Hour Vigil Outside EVM Strongrooms Ahead Of Counting Day
- In Exit Polls Prediction, A Non-Existent AAP Candidate, 7 Seats For LJP In Bihar
- CWC 2019: There Will Be Disappointment If India Rely Too Heavily On Kohli, Warns Tendulkar
- You're Fighting For Truth, Don't Be Upset With Exit Polls: Rahul Gandhi To Party Workers
- My Vote Is For the Well-Being Of My Fellow Indians
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- How WhatsApp Saved The Day For A Cyclone Fani-Hit Journo In Odisha
- 'Sour Losers': Paswan Slams Opposition For 'Desperation' Over VVPAT Issue
- Rahul Gandhi vs Smriti Irani, Modi vs Ajay Rai, Rajnath vs Poonam Sinha: Key Contests In UP
- In Parts Of Odisha, Cylone Fani-Affected People Forced To Repay Loans
- At NDA Meet, PM Modi Expresses Concern Over 'Needless Controversy' On EVMs
- 'Why Can't All VVPATs Be Verified, Is SC Also Involved in Rigging', Asks Udit Raj
- EC Wants To Set New Precedent Of 'Dark Secrets', 'Secluded Chambers': Congress
- ISRO Successfully Launches Satellite RISAT-2B; It Can Take Pictures Under 'Cloudy Conditions'
- Newly-elected Members Of Lok Sabha Not To Stay In Hotels: LS Secretary General