Star Indian boxer Vijender Singh today tied the knot with Delhi-girl Archana Singh in a low-key ceremony here.
The marriage was solemnised at the Delhi Flying Club and was attended by the family and friends of the 25-year-old boxer, who is India's first Olympic and World Championships medallist. He claimed bronze medals in both these events.
The couple will host a reception at Vijender's native village Kaluwas in Bhiwani tomorrow.
Congress leader Rahul Gandhi, BJP MP Shahnawaz Hussain, former Union Minister Captain Satish Sharma, Indian Boxing Federation chief Abhay Singh Chautala and national boxing coach G S Sandhu were among the prominent guests at the wedding ceremony, which lasted just a couple of hours before the couple and their families drove off to Bhiwani.
Gandhi, a friend of the boxer and an avid boxing fan himself, stayed at the venue for about ten minutes and wished the newly-wed couple.
Vijender wore a cream sherwani for the occasion while his software engineer bride was dressed in a red sari designed by Tarun Tahiliani. Archana hails from Muzaffarnagar, Uttar Pradesh and works with the British High Commission in the capital.
"A new chapter of my life starts today and I hope it would be as successful as my boxing career. But I have very little time for prolonged celebrations as I would be heading to Cuba for a training tour later this month. The Asian Championships are also coming up next month, so it's back to training pretty soon for me," Vijender said after tying the knot.
Among the boxers, Commonwealth Games bronze-medallist Jai Bhagwan and Commonwealth Championships gold-medallist Dinesh Kumar attended the ceremony.
The rest of the guest list mainly comprised of local Haryana politicians and close family friends.
Vijender, who returned to the country a couple of days back after winning a bronze at the Arafura Games in Australia, had reportedly been dating the girl for the past four years.
Boxer Vijender Singh Marries Delhi Girl Archana
PTI Photo/ Kamal Singh
THE LATEST ISSUE
- CJI To Consider Chidambaram's Case For Urgent Listing; ED Issues Lookout Notice
- US President Donald Trump Offers To Mediate Kashmir Issue Again, Says It's 'Complicated Place'
- Public Transport Resumes In Parts Of Kashmir, Students Still Stay Away From Schools
- LeT Militant, Police Officer Killed In Encounter In Jammu And Kashmir's Baramulla
- 'Hunted Down' For Speaking Truth 'Inconvenient To Cowards': Priyanka Gandhi Backs Chidambaram
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- The Little Sleep I Get Is Filled With Nightmares About Home: Kashmiri Living In Delhi On J&K
- '... Await The Mentioned Hearing': Chidambaram's Lawyer Tells CBI After Moving SC
- Ahead Of DU's Student Union Polls, ABVP Amid Criticism Installs Savarkar's Statue Outside Campus
- 63 Dead This Monsoon Season In Rain-Ravaged Himachal Pradesh
- Mumbai Terror Attack Mastermind Hafiz Saeed Challenges His Arrest In Pakistan Court
- Pakistan Says Will Approach ICJ Over India's Move On Kashmir
- Ahead Of State Polls, Amit Shah Holds Meet With BJP Leaders, Assigns Them Key Roles
- Competition In Test Cricket Has Increased: Kohli
- Preview: Ashes, 3rd Test, ENG Vs AUS