An Indian poetess in Bahrain has become the first woman to release a book of Konkani poetry highlighting the traditional occupations of Goa, a news report has said.
Goenchi Girestkai (The Wealth of Goa), authored by Maria Conceicao Pereira, is an effort to revive the Goan heritage that is fading out.
"Many children born to parents living in Bahrain or abroad have no idea about our traditions in Goa," she told Gulf Daily News.
"Neither do they have a chance to know anything about Goa, so this book is to help them to explain to their children and instill some knowledge about Goan traditions and professions," she said.
According to Pereira, many Goan children have been brought up by their parents through this traditional hard work and it is sad to see that these professions are fading away, becoming a mere tourist attraction in Goa.
The book focuses on the decline of people belonging to 12 traditional occupations in Goa i.e fishermen, carpenters, bakers, coconut pickers, toddy-tappers, barbers, grave-diggers, church helpers, ploughmen, tailors, postmen and potters.
Pereira depicts their daily lives with a vivid use of the Konkani language and more than 100 copies of the book has already been sold, the report said.
Money raised from book sales is being donated to the Sacred Heart Church.
Pereira, who is a secretary with the Bahrain Medical Society, was born in Arossim, Cansaulim, and graduated from Carmel College in Goa.
Book Highlights Decline of Goa's Traditional Occupations
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Six Civilians Killed In Explosion At Encounter Site; Mayhem In Kashmir
- Kohli, Rohit Centuries Floor Windies, India Win 1st ODI By 8 Wickets
- Sabarimala Day 5: Four Women Stopped From Proceeding To The Shrine
- Amritsar Train Accident: Protesters Clash With Police After Being Chased Away From Tracks
- CBI Books Its Own Special Director Rakesh Asthana For Accepting Bribe
- BJP's 'Win' In Kashmir Valley Will Be Remembered For Wrong Reasons
- Rail Apps: When A Train Ticket Examiner Left Passengers Speechless
- Durga Puja In Calcutta A Parable Of Life
- M J Akbar Should Be Fired Rather Than Being Allowed To Resign
- Why Kishore Kumar Declined A Cover Version Of His Idol KL Saigal's Songs
- Health Hazards Caused By Contaminated Water Supply In Indian Railways
- Activist Rehana Expelled From Muslim Community After Attempt To Enter Sabarimala
- BJP To Cast Magic Spell On Voters For Upcoming Assembly Polls In MP
- Deepika Padukone, Ranveer Singh's Wedding To Take Place In November
- Petrol, Diesel Prices Cut For Fourth Consecutive Day
- Madhya Pradesh: Over 400 Theatres Shut To Protest Against Entertainment Tax
- All Petrol, CNG Pumps In Delhi To Remain Shut On Monday In Protest Against VAT
- 6 Tested Positive, Zika Cases Reach 123 In Rajasthan
- Aur Ye Laga Sixer: Rohit Sharma's Classic Nataraja Shot – WATCH