BJP today slammed the reported remarks by Congress leader Digvijay Singh about slain Maharashtra ATS Chief Hemant Karkare being a God to Muslims, alleging the utterances were aimed at spreading hatred.
"Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh has again given a statement. It is very difficult to understand the context. He has said Karkare was a God for Muslims... Does he intend to say that Karkare was nothing for the Hindus of this country?" BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy said.
Describing Singh's statement as "very curious", Rudy sought to know if Congress President Sonia Gandhi and her son Rahul had given their consent to the former Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister making such comments.
"Digvijay Singh has said in Bhopal that he has the blessings of Sonia Gandhi and Rahul.... Somewhere, he is getting the patronage of Sonia Gandhi. She should clarify if Singh has been made spokesperson for such comments", Rudy said.
Enumerating other controversial statements of Singh, Rudy said earlier he had said Karkare was getting threats from Hindu terrorists, made comments about 26/11 convict Ajmal Kasab that was used by Pakistan to argue that it was not involved, termed Batla House encounter in Delhi as "fake", and visited Azamgarh which is considered a den of terrorism.
"The dirty tricks department of Congress is spreading hatred and dividing the nation," Rudy said.
The Rajya Sabha MP maintained that even Karkare's wife Kavita had said repeatedly that Digvijay Singh's charges were baseless and he should not politicise the issue.
Rudy alleged Singh had also visited Sanjarpur to meet Mohammad Shahnawaz whose name figured in the recent Varanasi bomb blast.
"Whom do we believe? The Congress leader or Karkare's wife who lived with him?.... Singh is trying to make political capital out of this issue," he said.
BJP Slams Digvijay's Remarks on Karkare
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Coronavirus: After Donald Trump's Tough Talk, India Lifts Partial Ban On Hydroxychloroquine
- Donald Trump Warns Of 'Retaliation'If India Doesn't Allow Export Of Drugs To Treat Coronavirus
- Coronavirus Live Updates: Death Toll In India Reaches 136; Positive Cases Jump To 4421
- A Corona Sandesh! Kolkata Finds Innovative Ways To Spread COVID-19 Awareness
- Education Sector: Digital is The Future Post Coronavirus
- Bollywood Needs A New Ecosystem To Bring Its Economy Back On Track After Corona
- 'Corona Jihad', 'Tablighi Virus'...Would 'Mandir Virus' Be Okay In Such Intolerant Times?
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Boris Johnson Shifted To ICU As Coronavirus Symptoms Worsen
- Doctor's Diary: As Supply Of PPE Kits Falls Short, I Worry For Our Lives
- How Lending Startups Are Offering Loans To Help People Affected By Covid-19
- UP Shooter Announces Reward For Arrest Of Tablighi Jamaat Chief
- Coronavirus: When, Where And How To Use Face Masks To Protect Yourself
- Jamia Professor, Suspended For 'Failing Non-Muslims, Had Failed None
- Russia, Qatar Paid Bribes For World Cup Votes, New Indictment Alleges
- In Lockdown, Kapil Dev Draws Closer To Nature