The BJP has accused the government of trying to avoid a reply to the "twelve points of biased conduct" raised by the Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) N Gopalaswami against Election Commissioner (EC) Navin Chawla.
"The government needs to answer the twelve points of biased conduct, which is in the public domain. They are trying to avoid a reply on the issue by debating on the procedural details," party spokesperson Ravi Shanker Prasad told reporters.
"Congress on its part seems determined to destroy the institutional independence of the Election Commission. The charges against one of the Election Commissioners are in public domain but Congress party has chosen not reply to the charges and observations of the CEC," he charged.
"The point is of biased conduct. We will wait for the final decision of the government and for BJP, all options are open," Prasad said when would the party be comfortable to go to the polls if Navin Chawla is promoted as the CEC in the due course.
Replying to Congress' allegation that Gopalaswami was an appointee of the NDA government, Prasad said, "If Gopalaswami was the home secretary during NDA rule, T N Seshan was also the cabinet secretary during Rajiv Gandhi's tenure."
The BJP took a dig at Left parties, which have slammed the CEC's recommendation for removal of Chawla, and asked them to come clarify if they were "the official opposition or the unofficial supporter of the union government."
"One should not forget that a section of Left parties had supported the imposition of Emergency in the country", he said.
BJP Rubbishes Law Minister on CEC
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Clueless Congress Stumbles From One Poll Defeat To Another
- Cong To Form Fact-Finding Team To Analyse Poll Debacle
- Corpses Found Floating In Ganga
- 1st Priority Is To Contain Covid: CM Himanta Biswa Sarma
- Himachal: Cyber Thugs Target Covid Patients With False Promises Of Hospital Beds, Remdesivir
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- India's Battle Against Covid: Grim Reaper Stalks The Land
- Why High Antibody Doesn’t Guarantee Protection From Covid
- Lancet Slams Modi Govt for Stoking a ‘Self-Inflicted National Catastrophe’
- Can You Get Covid After Vaccination?
- In A First, An Independent Candidate In TN Releases Election Expenses
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- 'Sushil Has Tarnished Wrestling's Image,' LOC Served After Murder
- Virat Kohli, Ishant Sharma Get First Dose Of COVID-19 Vaccine