Demanding the resignation of Union HRD Minister Arjun Singh for favouring a judicial probe into the Batla House encounter, BJP has said the statement was a contempt of court as the case is sub-judice and made with a "sinister" motive.
"Arjun Singh has repeatedly raised doubts on the Batla House encounter and now favoured a judicial inquiry. This is a direct attempt by the HRD minister to interfere in the judicial process. The matter is now in court and it is for the courts to take a decision," BJP General Secretary Arun Jaitley told reporters.
Jaitley said Singh's statement was tantamount to contempt of court and "an interference in the administration of justice" as the matter is sub-judice.
He said when the UPA government had already conducted an inquiry and given a clean chit to the encounter, why was the HRD minister speaking against his own government.
Inspector M C Sharma laid down his life in the encounter between police and terrorists, allegedly involved in Delhi blasts, on September 19, 2008. Two terrorists were also killed in the encounter.
"While the UPA government is mulling over giving Sharma a Ashok Chakra for his martyrdom, this minister is questioning the facts of the encounter. This shows it is a sinister statement made to embarrass the government," Jaitley said.
The senior leader accused Singh of helping the guilty by demanding a probe into the encounter.
Demanding Singh's resignation, the BJP leader said, "the HRD minister's statement is not only a breach of judicial propriety but also an issue of collective responsibility of the UPA government," Jaitley said.
BJP Demands Arjun Singh's Resignation
THE LATEST ISSUE
- PM Modi 'Feels He Has It Under Control': Trump On Kashmir At G7 Summit
- INX Media Case: No Relief For Chidambaram, Court Extends CBI Custody By 4 Days
- PM Modi Made 'Historical Blunder' By Revoking Kashmir's Autonomy: Pak PM Imran Khan
- Sindhu's World Title Or Nehwal's Olympic Bronze – Which Is More Special For Coach Gopichand?
- RBI Approves Rs 1.76 Lakh Cr Transfer Of Surplus Reserves To Government
- Strong And Decisive Leadership May Not Help Always. It Can Cause More Damage Than Good
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Government Sacks 22 More Tax Officers For Graft, Misconduct
- Opposition Using 'Maarak Shakti...': Pragya Thakur On Death Of BJP Leaders -- Video
- Siddaramaiah Says K'taka Govt Will Not Last Long, Urges Congress To Prepare For Early Polls
- 'He Speaks Very Good English...': Prez Trump Shares Light Moment With PM Modi -- Video
- NHRC Sends Notice To UP Chief Secy Over Rotis With Salt Mid-Day Meal
- G7 Summit: India To Import More From US; Commerce Ministers To Hold Talks Over Trade Issues
- Sindhu To Receive Cash Reward For Stellar Showing At Badminton Worlds
- Sourav Ganguly Gives His Opinion On MS Dhoni's Imminent Retirement