Demanding the resignation of Union HRD Minister Arjun Singh for favouring a judicial probe into the Batla House encounter, BJP has said the statement was a contempt of court as the case is sub-judice and made with a "sinister" motive.
"Arjun Singh has repeatedly raised doubts on the Batla House encounter and now favoured a judicial inquiry. This is a direct attempt by the HRD minister to interfere in the judicial process. The matter is now in court and it is for the courts to take a decision," BJP General Secretary Arun Jaitley told reporters.
Jaitley said Singh's statement was tantamount to contempt of court and "an interference in the administration of justice" as the matter is sub-judice.
He said when the UPA government had already conducted an inquiry and given a clean chit to the encounter, why was the HRD minister speaking against his own government.
Inspector M C Sharma laid down his life in the encounter between police and terrorists, allegedly involved in Delhi blasts, on September 19, 2008. Two terrorists were also killed in the encounter.
"While the UPA government is mulling over giving Sharma a Ashok Chakra for his martyrdom, this minister is questioning the facts of the encounter. This shows it is a sinister statement made to embarrass the government," Jaitley said.
The senior leader accused Singh of helping the guilty by demanding a probe into the encounter.
Demanding Singh's resignation, the BJP leader said, "the HRD minister's statement is not only a breach of judicial propriety but also an issue of collective responsibility of the UPA government," Jaitley said.
BJP Demands Arjun Singh's Resignation
THE LATEST ISSUE
- She, The Dalit: Red Earth And The Sky A Dalit Blue
- MI Vs DC: Mumbai Go Top With 5-wicket Win Over Delhi
- 'I am Immune' From Coronavirus, Ready For Campaign Trail: Donald trump
- Will Go After Media, Fans Spreading Rumours, Says Rhea's Lawyer
- 100 Per Cent Victory For BJP In Bengal Polls: Kailash Vijayvargia
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- French Open Final: Nadal Thrashes Djokovic, Ties Federer's Slam Record
- Hathras Case: Victim's Family Members To Appear Before HC On Monday
- IPL 2020: Parag, Tewatia Star In RR's Thrilling Win Over SRH
- Meet 18-year-Old Girl Who Became British High Commissioner For A Day
- PM Modi Launches Swamitva Scheme, Will Distribute Property Cards
- Gone In 60 Seconds: A Lamborghini In Himachal
- COVID Claims Delhi Ambulance Driver Who Ferried 200 Bodies Of Virus Victims
- Jammu And Kashmir Seeks Bengal’s Help To End Dry Tourist Season