Slamming the BJP for effecting a change of guard in Uttarakhand ahead of the assembly poll, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi today said the party brought back B C Khanduri to the post of the Chief Minister to cover up its scams.
"I want them to explain why Khanduriji became so important again after his removal in 2009. It seems he has been brought back by the BJP to cover up its scams," he told a string of election rallies in Pithoragarh and here.
Khanduri was not important for the BJP till three months ago and only corruption was important for it at that time, Gandhi said.
He alleged widespread corruption prevailed when the BJP was in power at the Centre but its leader L K Advani did not take out a rath yatra against graft that time.
The Congress general secretary said BJP leaders did not see the corruption in their party-ruled Uttarakhand, Gujarat, Chhattisgarh and Madhya Pradesh.
"People should ask Advaniji whether he mentioned about corruption by his party government in Karnataka during his rath yatra," he said.
Gandhi blamed the BJP for not allowing a strong Lok Pal bill to be passed in Parliament.
"We want to set up a strong Lokpal with a constitutional status. But, the BJP did not allow the bill to be passed in this regard in Parliament," he said.
Gandhi accused the BJP government in Uttarakhand of misusing central funds. "We sent thousand crores of rupees for development but these were misused."
Gandhi said the Congress-led UPA government at the Centre had launched various programmes and schemes for welfare of farmers, youths, women, minorities and backward classes.
"We launched NREGA, the world's largest employment providing scheme through which employment of 100 days and an income of Rs 12,000 is being generated for crores of people," he said.
Gandhi said the Congress government waived loans of farmers and implemented the Right to Education Act and the Right to Information Act.
The Food Security Act would also be implemented shortly, he said.
Gandhi asked the people to vote for the Congress to bring prosperity in Uttarakhand.
BJP Brought Back Khanduri to Cover up Scams: Rahul
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Captain Amitabh Singh, The Man Who Piloted Air-India's Mission Wuhan
- Coronavirus Live Updates: Bengal Shuts Restaurants; Kejriwal Offers Doubled Pension
- Singer Kanika Kapoor Booked For Negligence, Spreading Coronavirus In Lucknow
- The Viral Learning Curve: Universities And Classes In The Time Of Corona
- Coronavirus: UP Govt To Give Rs 1,000 To Lakhs Of Daily Wage Labourers, Construction Workers
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Janata Curfew: No Passenger Train To Run From Midnight To 10 PM On Sunday
- UP Health Minister, Who Attended Party With Singer Kanika Kapoor, Tests Negative For Coronavirus
- Coronavirus: Maharashtra Shuts Offices Till March 31; Delhi Malls Closed
- 'You Are Not Invincible': WHO To Youth Amid Coronavirus Pandemic
- Some To Protest From Balconies Against NRC, CAA During Janta Curfew
- Maharashtra Govt Asks Establishments Not To Sack Employees In View Of Coronavirus Outbreak
- Coronavirus: Who's Saying What Over Status Of Tokyo Olympics
- PK-da Was 'Guardian Angel Of Indian Football,' Bhutia