Actress Bipasha Basu was today stopped at the international airport here for not declaring dutiable goods and cleared only after paying duty, the second such incident this month after starlet Minissha Lamba was detained for not revealing jewellery worth over Rs 30 lakh.
The Dhoom 2 actress was intercepted after she had crossed the green channel without making any declaration of some items of personal use on her arrival from London.
"Actress Bipasha Basu was caught carrying come undeclared items the value of which was not high. She was let off after she paid the duty," Additional Commissioner of Customs Mahender Pal told PTI.
"She was carrying undeclared goods worth over Rs 65,000 and so we asked her to pay the duty of Rs 13,000 which she did," said P M Govande, Commissioner of Customs (Airport). No fine or penalty was imposed.
Customs sources said she was carrying sandals, sunglasses and perfume, which she did not know also required to be declared.
She was very cooperative and showed all the bills, they said.
In a brief statement the actress said, "It was just a routine check up at the airport and many others were being checked as well. I paid Rs 12,000 as taxes against some personal goods. I think the customs team is doing an excellent job."
Lamba was detained at the airport on May 18 on her arrival from Cannes, France, for not declaring gold and diamond jewellery worth over Rs 30 lakh.
She was let off after two rounds of questioning, one of which lasted for over 16 hours. Lamba had claimed that the ornaments were given by a jewellery brand for purely promotional purpose to be worn at the Cannes film festival, where she had walked the red carpet.
Bipasha Detained at Airport, Let Off After Paying Duty
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Poll Sop: Nitish Kumar’s Standard Operating Procedure
- Mike Pence and Kamala Harris Battle It Out At The US Vice Presidential Debate
- ‘India’s Coronavirus Fight Is People Driven,’ Says PM Modi
- KKR Vs CSK: Kolkata Choke Chennai After Rahul Tripathi's 81
- The SSR Mega Serial: How TV Media Put Original Family Dramas To Shame
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Batting Let Bowlers Down, Says CSK Skipper Dhoni After Yet Another Defeat
- Rhea Chakraborty Walks Out Of Byculla Jail After Bombay HC Grants Her Bail
- Former CBI Director Ashwani Kumar Dies By Suicide
- With EPS As CM Candidate, AIADMK Looks For Continuity
- Want To Cross Verify A Doctor's Credentials? Sorry, You Cannot
- Prashant Kishor’s Team Starts Feeling The Heat Of Infighting In The TMC
- Atal Tunnel: Himachal To Beef Up Security
- Clinical Tsitsipas Makes History