Human rights activist and vice-president of the national executive of People's Union of Civil Liberties (PUCL) Binayak Sen today appealed to the CPI(Maoist) to unconditionally release abducted Sukma district collector Alex Paul Menon as soon as possible.
In a release available here, Sen, who worked in the tribal belt of Chhattisgarh for a long time, said that the abducted district collector should be maintained unharmed "until his release and all medical facilities be extended to him".
Sen expressed his sorrow at the killing of Menon's two security guards by the Maoists.
He said that PUCL had repeatedly asserted that no resolution of the issues in the region can possibly be arrived at.
"The way forward for the restoration of peace and the well-being of the people of in the area will only be possible through cessation of armed conflict and the withdrawal of militarization", he said.
The rights activist said that restoration of dialogue and the legitimacy of dissent are essential "and my appeal is for this to be effected as early as possible".
Binayak Sen Urges Maoists to Release Collector
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Chidambaram Not Cooperating, Custodial Interrogation Necessary, Says CBI In Court
- 'Broad Daylight Murder Of Law, Democracy': Cong Lashes Out At Govt Over Chidambaram's Arrest
- OPINION | 'Puppets On A Chain, Kashmir's 'Pro-India' Parties NC, PDP Dug Their Own Grave'
- MP CM Kamal Nath's Nephew Ratul Puri Moves Court To Surrender In AgustaWestland Case
- India's Fresh Challenge On Kashmir: Engage With Donald Trump But Without Opening Another Front
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- INX Media Case: 20 Questions CBI Asked P Chidambaram
- Etawah 'Ragging' Case: Police, VC Deny Medical Students Were Forced To Shave Heads
- March To Delhi Temple Demolition Site Was 'Personal Decision': Dalit Body
- NDA Candidate Against Rahul Gandhi In Wayanad Arrested In UAE
- WATCH: Guns Fail To Fire Shots During Ex-Bihar CM Jagannath Mishra's State Honours Ceremony
- Oppn Protests At Jantar Mantar, Demands Release Of Detained J&K Leaders
- Kohli Hints At Four-Bowler Strategy Vs WI
- Live, 1st Test, Day 1: SL Win Toss, Opt To Bat First Vs NZ