The CBI has approached the Bombay High Court seeking death penalty for three accused and challenging the acquittal of seven others in the Bilkis Bano rape case.
A sessions court had in January last year convicted 13 persons of the 20 accused in the case and sentenced 11 of them to life imprisonment.
The High Court today issued notices to the accused.
The CBI has sought enhancement of punishment to death for Jaswant Nai, Govind Nai and Shailesh Bhatt, who have been charged with raping Bilkis.
The agency has also challenged the acquittal of seven persons including four police officers and a doctor couple.
Bilkis, who was five months pregnant, and her family were chased by a violent mob in Dahod district during the Gujrat carnage on March 3, 2002.
Bilkis Bano Case: CBI for Death Penalty for Accused
THE LATEST ISSUE
- In The TIME Of Bilkis Bano As Dadi Cool
- MI Vs SRH LIVE: Lucky Kaul Gets Yadav; Mumbai 48/2 (5.5)
- 'Be Back Soon,' 'Next Few Days Are Real Test': Trump
- UP CM Orders CBI Probe; Rahul, Priyanka Meet Hathras Victim's Family
- Bihar Assembly Elections 2020: BJP, JD(U) Reach Seat-Sharing Agreement
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- Fifty Years Of Satyajit Ray's Aranyer Din Ratri
- Rahul Gandhi’s Tractor Rally Against Farm Laws Begins Today In Punjab
- When The Impact Players Misfire
- Another Mahagathbandhan Ally Quits At Patna Press Conference
- Durga Puja During Coronavirus Pandemic
- "If The Girl Said On Her Deathbed That She Was Raped, Then That's The Truth"..
- Mission Bengal: A Saffron Experiment
- First Case Of Match-Fixing Approach Surfaces In IPL