Many stalwarts of Pakistani politics, including ex-Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf, bit the dust in the polls that saw a large number of people exercising their vote for a historic democratic transition.
The biggest upset was of PPP's Ashraf, who suffered a humiliating defeat in Rawalpindi-II (National Assembly-51), Geo News reported.
As per unofficial and initial results, Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) candidate Raja Mohammad Javed Ikhlas won the seat.
Other top leaders of the PPP, also lost their seats.
Those who were defeated included, former information ministers Qamar Zaman Kaira and Firdous Ashiq Awan, Punjab President of PPP Manzoor Ahmad Wattoo, former Public Account Committee chairman Nadeem Afzal Gondal, and Bushra Aitzaz, the wife of Barrister Chaudhry Aitzaz Ahsan.
PPP's central leader and former federal minister Nazar Muhammad Gondal and Tasleem Qureshi were also among the losers.
Similarly, Gilani's both sons, Ali Musa Gilani and Abdul Qadir Gilani, lost in polls from their Multan constituencies.
Abdul was kidnapped by suspected Taliban terrorists last week while he was campaigning.
Chaudhry Anwar Ali Cheema, a veteran politician who has been winning elections since 1985, ran out of luck this time. Contesting on PML-Q ticket, Cheema lost the 2013 elections to PML-N candidate Zulfikar Ali Bhatti.
Cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan, in a setback, lost from a Lahore constituency against PML-N candidate Sardar Ayaz Sadiq. Khan's loss in Lahore was seen as a major upset and a psychological defeat for the party.
However, the Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf (PTI) chief won from Mianwali in Punjab province, Peshawar and Rawalpindi.
ormer Pakistan Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi of PTI lost from Umerkot, Sindh, to PPP's Nawab Yousuf Talpur.
PML-N heavyweight Liaquat Jatoi was also defeated in the polls.
Big Names Bite the Dust in Pak Polls
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Delhi, UP Seal Coronavirus Hotspots; Here Are The Areas To Be Locked Up
- Coronavirus Threat & Shortage Of Migrants Pose Challenge to Farmers In Punjab, Haryana
- Coronavirus Tests Must Be Conducted Free Of Cost In Govt & Private Labs, SC Tells Centre
- At All-Party Meet, PM Modi Suggests Extending 21-Day Lockdown
- Corona In The Chambal, Corona In The Secretariat
- Chronology Is Clear: MPLADS Abolition Leaves MPs At The Mercy Of Centre
- Bollywood Needs A New Ecosystem To Bring Its Economy Back On Track After Corona
- 'Corona Jihad', 'Tablighi Virus'...Would 'Mandir Virus' Be Okay In Such Intolerant Times?
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Coronavirus Hotspots In 15 UP Districts To Be Sealed: All You Need To Know
- Bernie Sanders Drops Out Of US Presidential Race; Biden To Face Trump
- Mehbooba Mufti Determined To Oppose 'Illegal Abrogation of Art 370'
- Opinion: Animal World May Not Be Immune To Coronavirus Pandemic
- Phased Rollback Of Lockdown Most Rational Approach: Kerala CM
- Private Airlines Refused To Carry Samples Of Coronavirus To Pune For Testing
- Suspension Of Olympics Qualification Big Blow For Indian Athletes: Coach
- Fate Of I-League Hangs In Balance, Decision After COVID-19 Lockdown