Many stalwarts of Pakistani politics, including ex-Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf, bit the dust in the polls that saw a large number of people exercising their vote for a historic democratic transition.
The biggest upset was of PPP's Ashraf, who suffered a humiliating defeat in Rawalpindi-II (National Assembly-51), Geo News reported.
As per unofficial and initial results, Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) candidate Raja Mohammad Javed Ikhlas won the seat.
Other top leaders of the PPP, also lost their seats.
Those who were defeated included, former information ministers Qamar Zaman Kaira and Firdous Ashiq Awan, Punjab President of PPP Manzoor Ahmad Wattoo, former Public Account Committee chairman Nadeem Afzal Gondal, and Bushra Aitzaz, the wife of Barrister Chaudhry Aitzaz Ahsan.
PPP's central leader and former federal minister Nazar Muhammad Gondal and Tasleem Qureshi were also among the losers.
Similarly, Gilani's both sons, Ali Musa Gilani and Abdul Qadir Gilani, lost in polls from their Multan constituencies.
Abdul was kidnapped by suspected Taliban terrorists last week while he was campaigning.
Chaudhry Anwar Ali Cheema, a veteran politician who has been winning elections since 1985, ran out of luck this time. Contesting on PML-Q ticket, Cheema lost the 2013 elections to PML-N candidate Zulfikar Ali Bhatti.
Cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan, in a setback, lost from a Lahore constituency against PML-N candidate Sardar Ayaz Sadiq. Khan's loss in Lahore was seen as a major upset and a psychological defeat for the party.
However, the Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf (PTI) chief won from Mianwali in Punjab province, Peshawar and Rawalpindi.
ormer Pakistan Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi of PTI lost from Umerkot, Sindh, to PPP's Nawab Yousuf Talpur.
PML-N heavyweight Liaquat Jatoi was also defeated in the polls.
Big Names Bite the Dust in Pak Polls
THE LATEST ISSUE
- No Ifs And Buts, Nitish Kumar Will Remain CM Even If We Win More Seats: BJP
- MI Vs RR LIVE: Mumbai Bat First Against Rajasthan
- Court Awards Life Imprisonment To Four; Victim's Family Demands Death Penalty
- Congress Tractor Rally: Rahul Gandhi Allowed To Enter Haryana After High Drama
- In Den Of Match-Fixers, Why BCCI's Fraud Detecting System For IPL Still Has Holes
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- SSR Coverage Shows How Mindless TV Journalism Has Become: Barkha Dutt
- Mumbai Court Extends Rhea Chakraborty's Judicial Remand
- Truce Is The Only Option For EPS And OPS
- Advancing Security In Indo-Pacific A Priority: Jaishankar At Quad Meeting
- French Open: Line Judge Deja Vu For Djokovic In Khachanov Win
- Nitish Kumar Announces NDA Seat Sharing Deal, JD(U) Gets 122, BJP 121
- Nowhere To Go: MCI Staff Told To Vacate Building
- CSK's Belief In Watson Surreal, But That's What Dhoni Is All About