Downplaying the controversy over presence of megastar Amitabh Bachchan during inauguration of the second phase of the Bandra-Worli sea link, Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Chhagan Bhujbal today said there is no difference of opinion in the state government over the issue.
"There is no difference of opinion in the state government over the issue. The PWD minister (public undertakings) had invited Bachchan for the programme like other invitees. The sealink was inaugurated by the Chief Minister," Bhujbal informed the Legislative Council.
The row surrounding Bachchan's presence in the programme found its resonance in the Legislative Council also, as Opposition Shiv Sena MLC Neelam Gorhe raised the issue.
She said the media reported the incident and the House members would like to know what happened.
Objecting to Gorhe, Congress MLC Bhai Jagtap said there are other topics on the poor and the downtrodden in the state to be discussed in the House.
"Is the Bachchan issue so important to be debated here?" he asked.
Sena MLC Kiran Pawaskar said, "After 26/11 terror attacks, the then chief minister lost his post for taking along Bollywood director Ram Gopal Verma (to survey damage in Taj hotel). We are worried that Chavan should not meet the same fate due to Bachchan".
Congress was upset with Bachchan's presence at the programme that took place on Wednesday.
The party's Mumbai president Kripashankar Singh told reporters later, "I want to clarify, neither the Mumbai Congress nor was I consulted before inviting Amitabh Bachchan."
"I have appraised the party high command of the issue," he added.
Bachchan is the brand ambassador of another state and hence some people were not happy with him being invited, Chavan had said.
Bachchan wrote in his blog that "a fresh controversy has been rapidly manufactured" on his involvement in the sealink function. He had been invited by a Minister in the Government to attend the function, he had said.
Bhujbal Downplays Big B-Sealink Controversy
THE LATEST ISSUE
- PM Modi To Address Nation At 8 PM Today, Will Discuss 'Vital Aspects Relating To Coronavirus'
- Omar Abdullah, Ex-J&K CM, Released After Almost 8 Months Of Detention
- Police Clear Anti-CAA Protest Site At Delhi's Shaheen Bagh Amid COVID-19 Fears
- Coronavirus Live Updates: Complete Lockdown In 32 States, UTs As Positive Cases Spike In India
- First Communal Violence, Now Coronavirus Fears, Delhi's Riot Victims Have Nowhere To Go
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- J&K Police Filing FIRs, Using Drones In Fight Against Coronavirus
- India Has Tremendous Capacity To Combat Coronavirus, Says WHO
- Loyalty Test: Time For Indian Businesses To Fund Fight Against Coronavirus
- Shivraj Singh Chouhan Sworn In As Madhya Pradesh CM
- EC Defers Rajya Sabha Polls Scheduled For March 26 In View Of Coronavirus Outbreak
- Coronavirus: 32 States, UTs Under Complete Lockdown
- Olympics Postponement Inevitable: IOC Official
- Conference Call Between BCCI And IPL Team Owners Postponed