A local court has framed charges against four accused in the 1981 Behmai massacre in which 20 people were killed by the erstwhile gang of bandit queen-turned-politician Phoolan Devi.
The court yesterday framed the charges against Bhikha, Posha, Vishwanath and Ram Singh for killing 20 people of Behmai village.
Phoolan Devi and her gang had stormed Behmai in Kanpur's Dehat district on the night of January 30, 1981, killing 20 Thakurs of the village after rounding them up at gunpoint.
35 people, including Phoolan Devi, were named as accused in the case.
On July 25, 2001, Phoolan Devi was shot dead by three assailants outside her MP quarter in New Delhi.
Now only seven accused are alive, of which three are absconding. Eight dacoits have been killed by police in separate encounters.
The court yesterday chargesheeted the four accused for dacoity and murder, while issued non bailable warrant against the three absconding accused.
The next hearing will take place on September 12.
Behmai Massacre: Court Frames Charges Against Four
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Truce Is The Only Option For EPS And OPS In Tamil Nadu
- Three Accidents In Atal Rohtang Tunnel In 72 Hours Since Inauguration
- Coal Scam: Court Convicts Former Union Minister Dilip Ray, Others
- In Den Of Match-Fixers, Why BCCI's Fraud Detecting System For IPL Still Has Holes
- How Axar Patel Caught RCB In Web Of Spin
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- Judge And Hangman: Media Trial In Sushant Death Case
- Covid-19 Virus Can Infect People More Than Six Feet Away: CDC
- Dr. Reddy's Asked To Submit Revised Protocol For Sputnik V Vaccine Trials
- Ashwin Leaves Finch With 'Mankading' Warning
- Junior Commissioned Officer Killed In Shelling Along LoC: Army
- Pompeo To Meet Jaishankar In Tokyo
- Life As A Dalit - A Curse In Casteist India
- Delhi Capitals Will Be Hard To Beat In IPL 2020, Says RCB Skipper Virat Kohli