In a snub to suspended IPL Commissioner Lalit Modi, the Indian Cricket Board today rejected his demand for the recusal of Chirayu Amin and Arun Jaitley from the disciplinary panel investigating the charges of financial irregularities against him.
Setting August 18 as the next date for the disciplinary hearing, the Board refused to oblige Modi without specifying the reasons for the decision, leaving the sidelined administrator's legal team furious.
"The request of Mr Lalit Modi for recusal of certain members of the Disciplinary Committee is rejected," the BCCI said in a statement.
"The next hearing of the Disciplinary Committee is fixed for Wednesday August 18 at 7:30 pm at Hotel Taj Palace, New Delhi," it added.
Modi's lawyer Mehmood Abdi was quick to slam the BCCI for rejecting Modi's demand and threatened to take the Board to court.
"We don't consider it as a fair order. We will take appropriate legal steps after consultations with senior counsels," said Abdi, reacting to the BCCI decision.
Asked whether it meant going to a court of law, Abdi said "that is not ruled out."
Apart from Amin (the interim IPL chief) and Jaitley (BCCI vice-President), the three-member panel also comprises Congress MP and Madhya Pradesh Cricket Association chief Jyotiraditya Scindia.
The panel has met thrice so far and Modi has been absent on all the occasions, leaving it to his legal team to present his case against allegations of financial irregularities.
The last hearing of the panel took place on August 1 after which the committee reserved its order on the contentious recusal issue.
Modi's lawyer Mehmood Abdi had then stated that the arguments on their demand of recusal of panel members Jaitley and Amin were complete.
Modi has been insisting that Jaitley and Amin recuse themselves from the panel as they are also part of the BCCI, which has made the allegations against him.
BCCI Dismisses Modi's Call for Recusal of Amin, Jaitley
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Poll Sop: Nitish Kumar’s Standard Operating Procedure
- Mike Pence and Kamala Harris Battle It Out At The US Vice Presidential Debate
- ‘India’s Coronavirus Fight Is People Driven,’ Says PM Modi
- 'You Can't Stop Thefts Till Thieves Repent': R. Ashwin On 'Mankading'
- Victorian Ace: Dean Jones Was A True-Bred Australian Who Made Grit His Middle Name
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- China Will Pay A Big Price For Spreading Covid-19 Globally: Trump
- Batting Let Bowlers Down, Says CSK Skipper Dhoni After Yet Another Defeat
- Rhea Chakraborty Walks Out Of Byculla Jail After Bombay HC Grants Her Bail
- Former CBI Director Ashwani Kumar Dies By Suicide
- Want To Cross Verify A Doctor's Credentials? Sorry, You Cannot
- Prashant Kishor’s Team Starts Feeling The Heat Of Infighting In The TMC
- Atal Tunnel: Himachal To Beef Up Security
- Clinical Tsitsipas Makes History