Criticising Narendra Modi's fast, Mahatma Gandhi's great grandson Tushar Gandhi today said while selflessness marked Bapu's fast, Gujarat Chief Minister's was for "self-publicity".
"There is only self-publicity and me, myself in this fast," Tushar said.
"There is no repentance or any sign of remorse in the fast. Modi said when people pelted him with stones, he used that to create the ladder of development. But, in reality, what he meant was he created a ladder to Delhi," he said.
Tushar also disapproved of the televised blessings Modi sought from his mother before going to the fast venue.
"In Bapu's times, there was a different connotation to fast as a weapon.... Now the trend is different. Bapu's fast was with a selfless objective," he said.
Bapu's Fast Selfless, Modi's for Publicity: Tushar Gandhi
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Coronavirus Lockdown: In Many Parts Of India, Insulin, Other Refrigerated Medicine Short In Supply
- Coronavirus Pandemic Live Updates: India Death Toll Rises To 19, Cases Climb To 834
- Coronavirus Lockdown: 'Money Will Last 2-3 More Days. God Knows What Will Happen After That'
- How State Governments Are Managing The Coronavirus Pandemic Amid 21-day Lockdown
- Why IND's Hockey Coach Reid Thinks COVID-19 A Blessing In Disguise
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- Hit By COVID-19 Lockdown, 90-yr-old Kajodi Trudges Home, 400 Km Away
- CONFIRMED! Athletes Qualified For 2020 Olympics Will Keep 2021 Spots
- UK PM Boris Johnson, Health Secretary Test Positive For Coronavirus
- 'Clear We Have Entered Recession': IMF Chief Amid Coronavirus Pandemic
- Stuck in Bangladesh, Kashmiri Students Seek Evacuation Amid Covid-19 Fears
- Hundreds Of Pets Abandoned After WHO Hoardings Trigger Panic
- Coronavirus: Stop Mass Exodus Of Labourers, MHA Asks States
- Two Olympic Champions Charged With Doping