A BJP MLA in Rajasthan has demanded a ban on skirts as uniform in schools to keep girls away from "men's lustful gazes".
Alwar (Urban) legislator Banwari Lal Singhal has written a letter to the state chief secretary C K Mathew, demanding that skirts should be replaced by trousers or Salwar-kameez.
"The intention of this demand is to keep girl students away from men's lustful gazes and for their comfort in hot and cold weather conditions," Singhal told PTI.
"It is not a Talibani type of thinking or restriction on girls' freedom or right but a concern for their safety," he said.
"I have myself caught several boys taking pictures of school girls by their cell-phones and girls were not aware of it. Such pictures could be misused."
"Everyone will have to make sure on one's personal capacity that the dignity of women is protected and this is my effort in my capacity," he said.
Stating that crime cases, particularly sexual harassment, is increasing in Alwar, he said, "The government should take steps to check crime but it is the duty of everyone to make an environment to ensure that crime is not flourished."
Ban Skirts to Save Girls From Lustful Gazes: BJP MLA
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- 'What Was In PM Modi's Chopper': Congress Questions EC For Suspending IAS Officer
- 'Milind Is The Man For South Mumbai': Mukesh Ambani Endorses Congress’ LS Candidate
- Lok Sabha Elections, LIVE Updates: 58% Voting In Udhampur, 12.4% In Srinagar By 3 PM
- CPI(M) Candidate’s Car Allegedly Vandalised In Bengal's Raiganj
- Jet Lenders 'Reasonably Hopeful' Of Successful Bids For Grounded Airline
- Why NaMo TV Should Not Be Banned
- The Politics Of Degrees: Is It Important That Leaders Be Well Educated?
- Ole Navigates Tricky Territory As Manchester United's Season Hits Crunch-Time
- Free Trips And The Art Of Looting Public Money By Indian Sports Administrators
- It Is Okay To Dig Up The Dead During Elections In Tamil Nadu
- Welcome To Tulip Garden – A Game Of Normalcy In Seething Kashmir
- Bihar Dy CM Sushil Modi Files Defamation Case Against Rahul Gandhi
- VIDEO: Shoe Hurled At BJP MP GVL Narasimha Rao During Press Conference In Delhi
- 22,000 Jaypee Homebuyers Jittery As NBCC Delays Bid
- For 'Modi Ji Ki Sena' Remark, EC Lets Off Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi With A Warning
- IPL 2019, SRH Vs CSK: Ravindra Jadeja Gets Into Heated Argument With Umpire--WATCH
- Kashmir Cannot Be Separated From India Till A Single BJP Worker Is Alive: Amit Shah
- Adityanath Blatantly Violating Election Commission Ban: Mayawati
- Maharashtra: Voters Post Video Of Polling Process On Facebook, Probe Ordered