A BJP MLA in Rajasthan has demanded a ban on skirts as uniform in schools to keep girls away from "men's lustful gazes".
Alwar (Urban) legislator Banwari Lal Singhal has written a letter to the state chief secretary C K Mathew, demanding that skirts should be replaced by trousers or Salwar-kameez.
"The intention of this demand is to keep girl students away from men's lustful gazes and for their comfort in hot and cold weather conditions," Singhal told PTI.
"It is not a Talibani type of thinking or restriction on girls' freedom or right but a concern for their safety," he said.
"I have myself caught several boys taking pictures of school girls by their cell-phones and girls were not aware of it. Such pictures could be misused."
"Everyone will have to make sure on one's personal capacity that the dignity of women is protected and this is my effort in my capacity," he said.
Stating that crime cases, particularly sexual harassment, is increasing in Alwar, he said, "The government should take steps to check crime but it is the duty of everyone to make an environment to ensure that crime is not flourished."
Ban Skirts to Save Girls From Lustful Gazes: BJP MLA
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Oppn Parties To Meet Election Commission Today Over VVPAT Verification
- 'Perfect Elections': Pranab Mukherjee Praises EC Amid Opposition Criticism
- ‘Don’t Get Disheartened By Exit Polls’: Priyanka Gandhi Vadra To Congress Workers
- Sensex Jumps Over 200 Points To Hit All-time High In Early Trade
- After Exit Polls Prediction, NDA Leaders To Meet Amit Shah, PM Modi Over Dinner Today
- My Vote Is For the Well-Being Of My Fellow Indians
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- How WhatsApp Saved The Day For A Cyclone Fani-Hit Journo In Odisha
- Modi Ji Wants To Get Me Killed: Arvind Kejriwal
- 21 Oppn Parties To Discuss Possibilities Of Non-NDA Alliance In Delhi Today
- Buoyed By Exit Polls, BJP Workers Gear Up For Celebrations On May 23
- Exit Polls Not Final Results, But Indicate BJP Will Come To Power: Nitin Gadkari
- Vivek Oberoi's Exit Poll Meme Involves Aishwarya, Salman And Abhishek; Sparks Row
- Will Observe Maun Vrat To Atone For Hurtful Remarks, Says Pragya Singh Thakur
- Though Exit Polls Are Favourable, DMK's Stalin Says Will Wait For May 23
- Delhi Lok Sabha Poll Results May Get Delayed By 5-6 Hours: CEO