Sadhana Amte, the wife of the late social worker Baba Amte, died today at Anandwan, near Warora in Chandrapur district.
She was 85.
She is survived by sons Dr Vikas, and Magsaysay Award winner Dr Prakash Amte.
Family sources said that she was not keeping well for the last one month.
Popularly known as Sadhana-`tai', she supported her husband actively when he started a rehabilitation colony for leprosy patients, `Anandwan', several decades ago.
Her mortal remains would be laid to rest tomorrow morning at Anandwan, family sources said.
Reacting to Sadhanatai's death, Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar described her as a role-model for compassion.
PWD minister Chhagan Bhujbal said she was a social activist in her own right.
Leader of Opposition in the Legislative Council, Pandurang Phundkar, said Maharashtra had lost a "mother-figure". "Her life will be an inspiration to all," he said.
Leader of Opposition in Assembly, Eknath Khadse said, "We have lost a legendary social activist who dedicated her life to the service of leprosy patients."
Union Rural development Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh said that Sadhanatai's death was a great loss for the field of social service. "Her life was full of challenges. She toiled hard and set an example for others with her grit and determination," he said.
Union Power Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said Sadhanatai will be remembered for her selfless approach to life.
BJP state president Sudhir Mungantiwar said her death was a loss for the deprived and the neglected sections of the society. "She was like a mother to all," he said.
BJP national president Nitin Gadkari too said that the poor and deprived sections of the society would feel a loss of motherly love due to her demise.
Baba Amte's Widow Passes Away
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Explained: What Is N440K Covid Variant? Is It More Virulent? Know What CCMB Says
- Himanta Biswa Sarma To Take Oath As Assam Chief Minister Today
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- Lockdown In Delhi Extended Till May 17: Arvind Kejriwal
- Tamil Nadu's New Health Minister MA Subramanian Is Also A Marathon Runner
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Cong Leader Mallikarjun Kharge Urges PM Modi To Hold All-Party Meeting
- Talks For National Alliance Of Opposition Parties To Start Soon: Raut
- YouTuber Rahul Vohra Dies Hours After Predicting His Death On Facebook
- Sikh Body Provides Oxygen Concentrators To Covid Patients
- Youth Congress President Steps Into Sonu Sood’s Shoes
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly