The CBI has filed a case against Andhra Pradesh police officials for the alleged fake encounter of Maoist leader Azad and journalist Hemchandra Pandey in the state, the agency said today.
Based on allegations of a false encounter made in writ petitions filed in the Supreme Court, by social activist Swami Agnivesh and Bineeta Pandey (wife of Pandey) who had sought a judicial probe and following directions from the apex court, a case was registered yesterday against the AP Police officials, CBI’s Joint Director and Head of Hyderabad Zone V V Lakshmi Narayana said today.
The case was registered against the Asifabad Circle Inspector, Thandur Police Station Sub-Inspector, Reserve Sub-Inspector in the AR Head Quarters at Bellampally, Civil and AR Special Party Police Officers and others under section 120-B r/w 302 of IPC and an investigation has been taken up, he said.
According to the Andhra Pradesh police, CPI (Maoist) Central Committee member and spokesperson Cherukuri Rajkumar alias Azad and journalist Hemachandra Pandey, who was with him were killed in an exchange of fire in the forest of Asifabad in Adilabad district on the intervening night of July 1 and 2, 2010.
Earlier, a group of rights activists led by Supreme Court advocate Prashant Bhushan had earlier alleged that Azad and Pandey were killed in a fake encounter.
Representing the petitioners (Swami Agnivesh and Bineeta), Prashant Bhushan during arguments in the Supreme Court had also insisted on a CBI probe claiming that post-mortem and forensic reports confirmed that Azad and Pandey were shot from a close range.
Azad Encounter: CBI Files Case Against AP Police
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Explained: What Is N440K Covid Variant? Is It More Virulent? Know What CCMB Says
- Himanta Biswa Sarma To Take Oath As Assam Chief Minister Today
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- Lockdown In Delhi Extended Till May 17: Arvind Kejriwal
- Tamil Nadu's New Health Minister MA Subramanian Is Also A Marathon Runner
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Cong Leader Mallikarjun Kharge Urges PM Modi To Hold All-Party Meeting
- Talks For National Alliance Of Opposition Parties To Start Soon: Raut
- YouTuber Rahul Vohra Dies Hours After Predicting His Death On Facebook
- Sikh Body Provides Oxygen Concentrators To Covid Patients
- Youth Congress President Steps Into Sonu Sood’s Shoes
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly