Bollywood legend Pran was today conferred the prestigious Dada Saheb Phalke award by President Pranab Mukherjee who also gave away trophies to the winners of 60th National Film Awards including best film Paan Singh Tomar and its lead actor Irrfan Khan as the best actor.
93-year-old Pran could not attend the ceremony due to his ill health but a documentary on his life and work was received with a standing ovation by the audience.
Pran, best known for his portrayal of negative roles in Hindi movies like Milan, Madhumati and Kashmir Ki Kali, will be later honoured with the Swarna Kamal (golden lotus) medallion, a cash prize of Rs 10 lakh and a shawl.
Paan Singh Tomar, a biopic on an athlete-turned-dacoit, won the best picture award. The best film trophy comes with a Swarna Kamal and a cash prize of Rs 2,50,000.
Talking about the film's extraordinary journey, director Tigmanshu Dhulia told PTI that it was special to get the award on a day when Indian cinema is celebrating 100 golden years.
"It has turned out to be a very special film. When I was making it, I did not think that it would turn out to be a pathbreaking film. It is a very proud moment for us," Dhulia said.
Irrfan shared the best actor trophy with veteran Marathi actor Vikram Gokhale for his role in Anumati.
Actress Usha Jadhav was given the best actress trophy for her portrayal of a rustic housewife in Marathi film Dhag.
The best actor and actress award comes with a Rajat Kamal and Rs 50,000 cash prize. Dhag's director Shivaji Lotan Patil won a Swarna Kamal and Rs 2,50,000 for the best director award.
Bollywood added glamour to the ceremony with actor John Abraham, Parineeti Chopra, Irrfan Khan and Nawazuddin Siddiqui turning up for the event.
Produced by Abraham, Vicky Donor won three trophies. It was the joint winner with Anwar Rasheed-directed Malayalam film Ustad Hotel for the best popular film providing wholesome entertainment honour. Both the films received Swarna Kamal and Rs 2,00,000.
Best supporting honours went to Vicky Donor actors Annu Kapoor and Dolly Ahluwalia who shared the award with Kalpana for Malayalam film Thanichalla Njan.
"2012 was a very good year for quality films so it is great to see your film win three national awards. The film was based on an unusual subject of sperm donation which is not discussed openly but the jury loved the film. It is also special to get the award from the President as I always wanted to meet him," film's director Shoojit Sircar told PTI.
Bedabrata Pain's much-lauded movie Chittagong shared Indira Gandhi award for best debut film with Siddhartha Siva's Malayalam film 101 Chodiyangal. Both the films were given Swarna Kamal and Rs 1,25,000.
Director Sujoy Ghosh won the best original screenplay award for his Vidya Balan-starrer Kahaani while another Hindi film Oh My God won the best screenplay for Bhavesh Mandalia and Umesh Shukhla.
Ustad Hotel was recognised for best dialogue for Anjali Menon. Each winner was given Rajat Kamal and Rs 50,000.
Kahaani's Namrata Rao was given the trophy for best editing. She also received Rajat Kamal and Rs 50,000.
Singer Shankar Mahadevan and lyricist Prasoon Joshi were given the award for best male playback singing and lyrics in Chittagong. Shankar also performed his award winning song at the ceremony.
Awards Given Away as Indian Cinema Turns 100
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Himanta Biswa Sarma Takes Oath As The CM Of Assam, Here Are The Names Of Other Ministers
- 34 Aligarh Muslim University Professors Succumb To Covid-19 In Last 18 Days
- Why High Antibody Doesn’t Guarantee Protection From Covid-19?
- India Sees Slight Dip In Covid Daily Count: Records 3,66,161 New Cases, 3,754 Deaths
- Game Over, Or Halftime? Mamata Faces Full-Blown Tussle With BJP
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Can Hot Water Bath Or Drinking Warm Water Prevent Covid? Govt Answers
- Covid: What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection?
- Natasha Narwal Granted Interim Bail After Father Dies Of Covid-19
- M.K. Stalin: The Prince Who Finally Became King
- Dramatic Draw Not Enough To Keep Title In Real's Hands
- BCCI Will Be Ultra-cautious For T20 World Cup: Jimmy Neesham