India has decided to attend the ceremony where the Nobel Peace Prize will be presented to Chinese dissident Liu Xiaobo in Oslo on Friday, notwithstanding China's call for a boycott of the function.
Although China has called upon all countries, including India to keep away from the ceremony, New Delhi does not see it as a bilateral issue with Beijing, official sources said.
India is among 44 countries which has confirmed its participation as against 19 countries, including Pakistan, Russia, Kazakhstan, Columbia, Tunisia, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Iraq, Iran, Vietnam and Afghanistan which have for various reasons declined the invitation.
The sources said the country's representation will be at the same level as in the past at the ceremony.
"Indian Ambassador to Norway has attended the function in 2008, 2009 and this year also Ambassador Banbit Roy has confirmed his participation at the ceremony," Torill Johansen, Secretary in the Nobel Committee Staff, told PTI.
The Oslo ceremony comes only five days ahead of Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao's visit to the country.
China has protested against the Nobel Committee's decision to award Liu, saying "Liu Xiaobo is a criminal who has been sentenced by Chinese judicial departments for violating Chinese law."
Liu is serving an 11-year jail term on subversion charges for his role in advocating democracy and multi-party rule.
Attending Nobel Ceremony Not a Bilateral Issue: India
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Poll Sop: Nitish Kumar’s Standard Operating Procedure
- Mike Pence and Kamala Harris Battle It Out At The US Vice Presidential Debate
- ‘India’s Coronavirus Fight Is People Driven,’ Says PM Modi
- 'You Can't Stop Thefts Till Thieves Repent,' Ravichandran Ashwin On 'Mankading'
- Victorian Ace: Dean Jones Was A True-Bred Australian Who Made Grit His Middle Name
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Batting Let Bowlers Down, Says CSK Skipper Dhoni After Yet Another Defeat
- Rhea Chakraborty Walks Out Of Byculla Jail After Bombay HC Grants Her Bail
- Former CBI Director Ashwani Kumar Dies By Suicide
- With EPS As CM Candidate, AIADMK Looks For Continuity
- Want To Cross Verify A Doctor's Credentials? Sorry, You Cannot
- Prashant Kishor’s Team Starts Feeling The Heat Of Infighting In The TMC
- Atal Tunnel: Himachal To Beef Up Security
- Clinical Tsitsipas Makes History