Two time Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) Chief Minister Prafulla Kumar Mahanta and fire brand MLA Padma Hazarika will vie for the party's top post during the organisational polls on April 26.
Mahanta and Hazarika are the only candidates who have filed nomination for the AGP president's post, party sources said.
This is the first time in the history of AGP, formed in 1985 after six-year-long anti-foreigners agitation in Assam, the party is holding organisational elections at all levels.
"We tried our best to build a consensus for president's post. Since we have failed, I have decided neither to be a candidate nor to take part in the electoral process unless the serving president's vote is required to break a tie, if happens," present President Chandra Mohan Patowary said.
AGP, out of power in the state since 2001, received a severe set back in the last assembly polls in 2011 when its strength fell to 10 MLAs in the 126-member house.
Assam: Mahanta to Fight Hazarika for AGP Top Post
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Covid Second Wave: India’s Oxygen Therapy Apparatus Imports Soar, Was Govt Clueless?
- ‘Will Covid Vaccine Kill Or Make Me Impotent?’ Villagers Question, Say No To Vaccine
- Nurses Day: Long Hours, Low Salaries, No Social Recognition
- Split Of Votes Between Congress-led Front, AJP-RD Saved BJP's Skin
- Some Oxygen For Siddique Kappan, Please?
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- The Dravidian Wall: Patience, Experience Paid Off For DMK’s Stalin
- Column| Vaccine Patent Waiver: Responsible Play, Go With India
- At Least 25 Covid Patients Escape From Health Centre In Tripura
- Bharat Biotech Says Can’t Give More Covaxin Doses to Delhi: Sisodia
- India Records 4,205 Covid Deaths In A Single Day, 3.48 Lakh New Cases
- Nurses: Covid Warriors And Real Bravehearts
- Can Thakur Fill In For Pandya - India Bowling Coach Has His Say
- COVID Crisis: I’ve Stopped Watching, Reading News - Neeraj Chopra