Former Hockey Olympian, Aslam Sher Khan, today called for boycott of the Commonwealth Games as they were not required in a country like India.
"I have been told that Rs 28,000 crore have been spent on the games and I feel that this was a colossal waste and nothing else," Aslam told reporters on the day the Queen's Baton for the Commonwealth Games was to arrive in Madhya Pradesh.
He said that if this money was spent on development of sports in the country, India might well have bagged 28 gold medals in the Olympics.
Aslam who is now a Congress leader said that the government should have dismissed the present organising committee which is holding the games and entrusted the task to people with integrity.
He said that many sports personalities including Bishen Singh Bedi had criticised the games on the ground that they were not required and observed that the government is possibly going ahead with the games only to fulfill its commitment.
The former hockey Olympian also strongly criticised the Union Sports Minister, M S Gill, for asking wrestling coach Satpal to step aside at a photo session with medal winner Sushil Kumar in New Delhi.
"May be Gill wanted to show to the world that he was to be credited for the medal won by Sushil Kumar and Satpal had nothing to do with it," Aslam said.
Aslam Sher Khan Calls for Boycott of CWG
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Coronavirus Pandemic Live Updates: 65-year-old Kashmiri Man UT's First Casualty; 5 More Test Positive In Indore
- Coronavirus: Doctor At Delhi's Mohalla Clinic Tests Positive; Patients Asked To Go Into Home-quarantine
- Coronavirus Pandemic: Infection Rate Slows Down In Italy, But Deaths Continue To Mount
- Naming Covid-19 After China Could Damage The Global Battle Against Coronavirus
- The Real Soldiers Fighting Cornoavirus Can't Even Get To Hospitals With Dignity
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- 'People In White Coats Are Gods Right Now': PM Warns Against Discrimination
- Coronavirus: Cases In India Rise to 616; Maharashtra Remains Most Affected
- OLY Postponement Was Phogat's 'Worst Fear'
- Coronavirus: Outlook Suspends Print Edition Temporarily, Goes Digital
- J&K Govt Traces, Quarantines 150 People With International Travel History
- Evicted By Landlord, Qatar Returnee Man Has No Place For Quarantine
- Coronavirus: E-learning In Schools Is The Only Way. But Is India Prepared?
- COVID-19: Wimbledon Could Be Postponed Or Cancelled – Organisers