Former Hockey Olympian, Aslam Sher Khan, today called for boycott of the Commonwealth Games as they were not required in a country like India.
"I have been told that Rs 28,000 crore have been spent on the games and I feel that this was a colossal waste and nothing else," Aslam told reporters on the day the Queen's Baton for the Commonwealth Games was to arrive in Madhya Pradesh.
He said that if this money was spent on development of sports in the country, India might well have bagged 28 gold medals in the Olympics.
Aslam who is now a Congress leader said that the government should have dismissed the present organising committee which is holding the games and entrusted the task to people with integrity.
He said that many sports personalities including Bishen Singh Bedi had criticised the games on the ground that they were not required and observed that the government is possibly going ahead with the games only to fulfill its commitment.
The former hockey Olympian also strongly criticised the Union Sports Minister, M S Gill, for asking wrestling coach Satpal to step aside at a photo session with medal winner Sushil Kumar in New Delhi.
"May be Gill wanted to show to the world that he was to be credited for the medal won by Sushil Kumar and Satpal had nothing to do with it," Aslam said.
Aslam Sher Khan Calls for Boycott of CWG
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Casteaways: Hathras Throws Up Uncomfortable Questions For BJP
- Khushbu Sundar Dropped As Congress Spokesperson, To Join BJP Today
- Riyan Parag's Bihu Jig Adds Flavour To Rajasthan Royals' Stunning Victory
- Life Hit In Mumbai After Massive Power Outage Due To Grid Failure
- The Curious Case Of True Indology And Other Tweets
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- French Open Final: Nadal Thrashes Djokovic, Ties Federer's Slam Record
- Madhubani Diary: Dalit Artist Paints A Portrait With Words
- IPL 2020: Parag, Tewatia Star In RR's Thrilling Win Over SRH
- Rajasthan Priest Case: Crime Branch Takes Over Investigation
- 100% Cut Off In DU Admission Reflects Absurdity In Board Marks
- In A First, Eight Indian Beaches Get Blue Flag Status
- Hathras Case: Victim's Family To Appear Before HC Amid Tight Security
- Bihar Elections 2020: BJP Releases List Of 46 Candidates For Phase 2