Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was today appealed by a human rights organisation to declare December 29 as 'National Day for Protesting Violence against Women' and announce a national award in the name of the Delhi gangrape victim who died in Singapore early this morning.
"No other incident has either evoked or shocked the conscience of the nation as this particular incident," said Asian Centre for Human Rights Director Suhas Chakma in a statement here.
"The Declaration of 29th December as the 'National Day for Protesting Violence Against Women' and a national award in her name will remind the nation about the need to address the issue of violence against women", the statement said.
This should be done along with the number of actions to be recommended by the Justice J S Verma Committee and Justice Usha Mehra Committee (on violence against women), Chakma said.
Appeal Made For National Day in Memory of Delhi Braveheart
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Sensex Surges 1400 Points After Exit Polls Predict BJP Win
- BJP Wants Kamal Nath Govt To Prove Majority, Asks MP Governor For Special Session
- What Bengal Exit Poll Results Mean For Mamata Banerjee and TMC
- ‘Congress Must Die,’ Says Yogendra Yadav After Exit Polls Predict Mammoth Victory For BJP
- Despite Exit Polls Predicting BJP's Landslide Victory, TDP Chief Naidu To Meet Mamata Banerjee
- My Vote Is For the Well-Being Of My Fellow Indians
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- How WhatsApp Saved The Day For A Cyclone Fani-Hit Journo In Odisha
- Exit Polls: Dream ‘Shattered’ For Ambitious ‘Kingmakers’ Naidu And KCR
- Exit Polls Not Final Results, But Indicate BJP Will Come To Power: Nitin Gadkari
- After Game Of Thrones Finale, Here's What Delhi Metro Tells Commuters – READ
- Vivek Oberoi's Exit Poll Meme Involves Aishwarya, Salman And Abhishek; Sparks Row
- '56 Exit Polls Proved Wrong In Australia, Wait Till May 23 For Real Results,' Says Shashi Tharoor
- Would've Been Better If Decision Came 20 Days Ago: O P Rajbhar On His Sacking
- Delhi Lok Sabha Poll Results May Get Delayed By 5-6 Hours: CEO
- EC Takes Action Against Polling Officer In Chandni Chowk For Not Deleting Test Votes