Actor Anupam Kher, author William Dalrymple, and members of the popular music band Indian Ocean were among individuals honoured here by the Indian Confederation of NGOs for their contribution to society and work on social issues.
At a function in the capital, the group awarded a number of individuals with the fifth annual Karamveer Puraskars for their contribution beyond their work areas.
Besides Kher, Dalrymple and Indian Ocean, also on the awardee list was fashion designer Sanjana Jon among others.
While Dalrymple was honoured the Media Citizen Puraskar for highlighting through his writings issues of global importance and concern, Jon was chosen for her association with campaigns like creating awareness about AIDS and Save the Girl Child.
"The awards venerate the efforts of individual citizens who have contributed to social justice and action by going beyond business as usual and being the change that they want to see in the world," said Jeroninio Almeida, founder of ICONGO.
Besides celebrities a large number of unknown and unsung heroes were also honoured by iCONGO for their silent but determined contribution to social issues.
Anupam Kher, William Dalrymple Honoured
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Who Next? The Big Fear Troubling Congress After Chidambaram’s Arrest
- Chidambaram Sent To CBI Custody Till August 26 In INX Media Case
- OPINION | Puppets On A Chain, Kashmir's 'Pro-India' Parties NC, PDP Dug Their Own Grave
- India's Fresh Challenge On Kashmir: Engage With Donald Trump But Without Opening Another Front
- ISRO Releases First Image Of Moon Captured By Chandrayaan-2
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- INX Media: The Case That Led To Chidambaram's Downfall
- Chidambaram Spends Night At CBI Headquarters Whose Inauguration He Attended In 2011
- Will Swap 100 Acres Of Land For Ravidas Temple Construction: Kejriwal After Protesters Swarm Delhi
- Badminton Worlds: Sindhu, Praneeth Enter Quarters; Srikanth, Prannoy Out
- Oil Companies Stop Fuel Supply To Air India At Six Airports Due To Non-payment Of Dues
- Live, West Indies v India, 1st Test, Day 1, Antigua
- Rajiv Gandhi Got Massive Mandate In 1984, But Didn’t Use It To Create Atmosphere Of Fear: Sonia Gandhi
- Demonising Modi All The Time Won't Help, It's Time We Recognise His Work: Jairam Ramesh