Two top scientists today slammed the blacklisting of former ISRO chief G Madhavan Nair and three others over the Antrix-Devas deal and demanded that reports of two expert committees on the issue be made public.
They also warned that such action being taken without giving the scientists a fair hearing would impact on the decision-making process at ISRO and the country's space programmes.
"It’s ridiculous in a democracy. What kind of democracy are we running," rued former ISRO chief Prof U R Rao.
"If there is something wrong, please go ahead and take action (against them). You don’t give them a chance to defend themselves?...Under what circumstances they agreed (for the deal) and so on. What country are we running? On what basis they have taken action," he told PTI.
Eminent nuclear scientist M R Srinivasan asked, "Are these scientists solely responsible? Are there others also? Who were the others in the decision-making loop? Has responsibility placed on them also?" the former Chairman of Atomic Energy Commission said.
"Why action only against the scientists and not others also?" he asked.
Rao welcomed ISRO Chairman K Radhakrishnan’s statement on the intention of the space agency to make public two reports on the basis of which the four space scientists were blacklisted and debarred from any government job.
"Why two committees? Why two reports?," he asked, and pointed out that in the five-member team, only the names of Pratyush Sinha and Radhakrishnan are in the public domain. “Who are the other three?”
In addition, did these two committees have "right type of people?" he asked, noting that the technology in question is difficult and complex, and "space communication is totally different from land-line communications".
Antrix Deal: Scientists Slam Blacklisting of Nair, Others
THE LATEST ISSUE
- As Assam CM, Himanta Biswa Sarma Finally Lives His Dream
- GST Exemption On Vaccine, Covid Drugs Will Make Them Costlier: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- Lockdown In Delhi Extended Till May 17: Arvind Kejriwal
- Tamil Nadu's New Health Minister MA Subramanian Is Also A Marathon Runner
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Cong Leader Mallikarjun Kharge Urges PM Modi To Hold All-Party Meeting
- Talks For National Alliance Of Opposition Parties To Start Soon: Raut
- YouTuber Rahul Vohra Dies Hours After Predicting His Death On Facebook
- Sikh Body Provides Oxygen Concentrators To Covid Patients
- Youth Congress President Steps Into Sonu Sood’s Shoes
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly