Two top scientists today slammed the blacklisting of former ISRO chief G Madhavan Nair and three others over the Antrix-Devas deal and demanded that reports of two expert committees on the issue be made public.
They also warned that such action being taken without giving the scientists a fair hearing would impact on the decision-making process at ISRO and the country's space programmes.
"It’s ridiculous in a democracy. What kind of democracy are we running," rued former ISRO chief Prof U R Rao.
"If there is something wrong, please go ahead and take action (against them). You don’t give them a chance to defend themselves?...Under what circumstances they agreed (for the deal) and so on. What country are we running? On what basis they have taken action," he told PTI.
Eminent nuclear scientist M R Srinivasan asked, "Are these scientists solely responsible? Are there others also? Who were the others in the decision-making loop? Has responsibility placed on them also?" the former Chairman of Atomic Energy Commission said.
"Why action only against the scientists and not others also?" he asked.
Rao welcomed ISRO Chairman K Radhakrishnan’s statement on the intention of the space agency to make public two reports on the basis of which the four space scientists were blacklisted and debarred from any government job.
"Why two committees? Why two reports?," he asked, and pointed out that in the five-member team, only the names of Pratyush Sinha and Radhakrishnan are in the public domain. “Who are the other three?”
In addition, did these two committees have "right type of people?" he asked, noting that the technology in question is difficult and complex, and "space communication is totally different from land-line communications".
Antrix Deal: Scientists Slam Blacklisting of Nair, Others
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Poll Sop: Nitish Kumar’s Standard Operating Procedure
- Mike Pence and Kamala Harris Battle It Out At The US Vice Presidential Debate
- ‘India’s Coronavirus Fight Is People Driven,’ Says PM Modi
- 'You Can't Stop Thefts Till Thieves Repent,' Ravichandran Ashwin On 'Mankading'
- Victorian Ace: Dean Jones Was A True-Bred Australian Who Made Grit His Middle Name
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Batting Let Bowlers Down, Says CSK Skipper Dhoni After Yet Another Defeat
- Rhea Chakraborty Walks Out Of Byculla Jail After Bombay HC Grants Her Bail
- Former CBI Director Ashwani Kumar Dies By Suicide
- With EPS As CM Candidate, AIADMK Looks For Continuity
- Want To Cross Verify A Doctor's Credentials? Sorry, You Cannot
- Prashant Kishor’s Team Starts Feeling The Heat Of Infighting In The TMC
- Atal Tunnel: Himachal To Beef Up Security
- Clinical Tsitsipas Makes History