A California filmmaker linked to a provocative anti-Islam movie that has sparked widespread violence across the Muslim nations was taken to a Los Angeles police station for questioning.
Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, 55, was interviewed at the Los Cerritos station near his home, the local Sheriff's Deputy told the NBC news.
"He went to the Cerritos station to talk with probation officers. He's not under any arrest," Deputy Sherif Don Walker said.
Nakoula, a self-described Coptic Christian, has been identified by US Federal authorities as the key figure behind 'Innocence of Muslims', a film denigrating Islam that ignited mob violence against US embassies across the Middle East.
The questioning of Nakoula by police comes as Federal officials have said they were investigating the activities of Nakoula, who has been convicted of financial crimes.
The probation department is reviewing the case of Nakoula, who was previously convicted on bank fraud charges and was banned from using computers or the Internet as part of his sentence. The review is aimed at learning whether Nakoula violated the terms of his five-year probation.
Karen Redmond, a spokeswoman for the administrative office of the US courts, has confirmed he review is under way. If the probation department determines Nakoula violated terms of his release, a judge could send him back to prison.
Anti-Islamic Filmmaker Questioned by LA Police
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- DDLJ@25: A Love Story That Still Tugs At The Heartstrings
- DC Vs CSK: Axar Cameo, Dhawan's Maiden Ton Give Delhi Stunning Win
- Sabarimala Opening May Further Stress Healthcare System: Kerala Health Minister
- LATHICHARGE DIARY: RLD Leader Jayant Chaudhary On Being Caned In Hathras
- Govt To Revise Minimum Age Of Marriage For Girls Soon: PM Modi
- Why Jofra Archer, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje Making IPL A Connoisseur’s Delight
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- RR Vs RCB: ABD Lifts Bangalore To Thrilling Win
- Press, Trust And India: Govt Mulls Its Own News Service
- Editors Guild Of India Gets Its First Elected President
- PM Reviews Vaccine Delivery Plan, Seeks 'Speedy Access'
- Gupkar Alliance Needs Clear Roadmap, Say Kashmir Parties
- Hathras Rape: Victim's Family Wants To Shift To Delhi For Security Reasons
- Global Hunger Index 2020: India Ranks 94 Out Of 107 Countries
- Everton 2-2 Liverpool: Henderson Winner Denied By VAR In Frantic Derby