The Indian Council of Agricultural Research's (ICAR) Deputy Director General (Crop Science) Swapan Datta said here today that anti-GM protestors do not seem to understand science and that genetically-modified crops are an extension of modern science.
Researchers wish to improve crops and increase their productivity, he told reporters on the sidelines of the Sixth International Conference on Legumes Genetics and Genomics, organised by the International Crops Research Institute for Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) here, as part of COP 11.
He said that presently ten million hectares of land is under BT cotton cultivation and that despite the high cost of production, more farmers grew BT cotton because they benefit from doing so.
"In fact, an end has to be put to this practice, to ensure that no more land is used for BT cotton, as there is no extra land for cotton, as other crops also need attention," he said.
He said that farmers will not produce crops if they do not get a good price. "We cannot produce something that farmers don't get a good price. It has to be profit-oriented and at a reduced cost," he said.
He said that GM technology has several benefits including reduction of methane, which is beneficial for the environment.
"GM can be used to expand green technology to help 600 million cattle and 1.2 billion people. However, a regulatory system has to be in place. We are expecting the Biotech Regulatory Authority of India (BRAI) to come which will expedite things. BRAI is awaiting parliament approval," he said.
He said that iron-fortified rice, BT rice, ICRISAT's GM-modified groundnut and several other crops await government clearance.
'Anti-GM Protesters Don't Seem to Understand Science'
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- 18 Students Of Coaching Class Killed As Massive Fire Engulfs Surat Building
- Narendra Modi: The Bachchan of Screen and Kohli on Field
- Opinion | History Will Judge Modi Govt On How It Handles Critical Issues
- The Rise And Fall Of Pawan Chamling, India’s Longest Serving Chief Minister
- Movie Review | Forget Politics, PM Biopic Tells How Dev Anand Influenced Modi To Take To Sanyas
- My Vote Is For the Well-Being Of My Fellow Indians
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- How WhatsApp Saved The Day For A Cyclone Fani-Hit Journo In Odisha
- UK Prime Minister Theresa May Announces Resignation After Brexit Backlash
- After LS Debacle, Slew Of Resignations On Congress Table; Rahul Too Likely To Quit
- YS Jaganmohan Reddy – Andhra's Giant Killer
- China Welcomes Modi, Imran Khan Exchange Of Greetings
- 'Gear Up For Assembly Polls, We Will Get Majority In J&K,' NC Chief Farooq Abdullah To Party Workers
- In Uttar Pradesh, Mayawati's BSP Lone Gainer Among Grand Alliance Constituents
- PM Modi Tenders Resignation Of Council Of Ministers, To Continue in Office Till Oath Ceremony
- After LS Poll Drubbing, Karnataka Cabinet Reposes Faith In Kumaraswamy