Vice President Hamid Ansari and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today condoled the death of freedom fighter Captain Lakshmi Sehgal, saying that the nation has lost an icon of selfless service.
Ansari described Sehgal as a noted freedom fighter and tireless campaigner for women's rights and social causes. He said he was deeply grieved by her demise.
In his condolence message, the Prime Minister said, "In the passing away of Shrimati Lakshmi Sehgal the nation has lost an icon of liberal values and selfless service".
Ansari said, "Captain Lakshmi Sehgal represents the pinnacle of sacrifice and struggle for the country, and for the rights of the downtrodden and women. Her contribution in public life in politics, the trade union movement and the women's movement are remembered by one and all".
He said that Sehgal's compassion, concern and commitment towards humanity manifested in all her efforts and activities and this has inspired many to emulate her.
"Her demise is a tremendous loss to the nation," he said.
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has expressed grief over the death of Captain Lakshmi Sehgal, who was part of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose's Indian National Army.
In his condolence message Akhilesh said that her contribution as the commander of `Rani of Jhansi Regiment' of INA would always be remembered.
He said that as Rajya Sabha member she raised voice for the poor, deprived, labour and women.
The CM said that as a doctor she was active throughout her life serving the people.
Megastar Amitabh Bachchan mourned the demise of Captain Lakshmi Sehgal calling her a "fierce freedom fighter".
Sehgal (97) breathed her last at a private hospital at Kanpur.
Ansari, PM Condole Captain Lakshmi Sehgal's Death
THE LATEST ISSUE
- DDLJ@25: A Love Story That Still Tugs At The Heartstrings
- DC Vs CSK: Axar Cameo, Dhawan's Maiden Ton Give Delhi Stunning Win
- Sabarimala Opening May Further Stress Healthcare System: Kerala Health Minister
- LATHICHARGE DIARY: RLD Leader Jayant Chaudhary On Being Caned In Hathras
- Govt To Revise Minimum Age Of Marriage For Girls Soon: PM Modi
- Why Jofra Archer, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje Making IPL A Connoisseur’s Delight
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- RR Vs RCB: ABD Lifts Bangalore To Thrilling Win
- Press, Trust And India: Govt Mulls Its Own News Service
- Editors Guild Of India Gets Its First Elected President
- PM Reviews Vaccine Delivery Plan, Seeks 'Speedy Access'
- Gupkar Alliance Needs Clear Roadmap, Say Kashmir Parties
- Hathras Rape: Victim's Family Wants To Shift To Delhi For Security Reasons
- Global Hunger Index 2020: India Ranks 94 Out Of 107 Countries
- Everton 2-2 Liverpool: Henderson Winner Denied By VAR In Frantic Derby