The campaign by Team Anna in Hisar Lok Sabha bypoll may have raised hackles of Congress, but the Election Commission today said it did not violate any election law and the panel saw no reason for intervention.
"It does not violate any of our election laws. We have nothing to do with it," said Chief Election Commissioner S Y Quraishi when asked about Team Anna's campaign against the Congress in Hisar.
Quraishi said, "While the propriety is being debated and discussed, we have nothing to do in this."
The CEC said, "India is a free country. Anybody can ask to vote for someone or not to vote for some candidate. There is no provision for acting against anyone asking not to vote for a particular candidate."
He, however, said, "suppose the campaign was to vote for a particular candidate, then the issue of election expenditure would have come in."
Team Anna has launched a campaign against the ruling Congress in the Hisar Lok Sabha bypolls, urging voters not to vote in favour of Congress claiming it was not serious in bringing the Jan Lokpal Bill in Parliament.
Anna's Anti-Cong Campaign Not Against Law: CEC
THE LATEST ISSUE
- I Am Twice Orphaned: Now By The Government In A Pandemic
- India’s Scale Tilts Towards Israel As Sufferings Of Palestinians Deepen
- Can A Person Get Re-Infected After Recovering From Covid?
- With Just 1.07 Lakh Doses, Staggered Jabs For 18-44 Age Group In Himachal
- 18 Elephants Die As Lightning Strikes In Assam’s Nagaon
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Govt Increases Gap Between Two Doses Of Covishield To 12-16 Weeks
- What Makes Some Vaccinated People More Prone To Covid-19 Than Others?
- Manipur BJP President S Tikendra Singh Dies Of Covid-19
- Polarisation Is Political Challenger’s Final Resort Before Elections
- Know Why Using Right Glassware Is Important While Mixing Your Drink
- Independent Music Doing Well As Labels Are Promoting It: Sonu Nigam
- Powar Is New Coach Of Women’s Team
- Tokyo-bound Race Walker Irfan Tests Positive