Noted painter Anjolie Ela Menon today distanced herself from the ongoing controversy regarding a land deal for an eye hospital to be set-up by Rajiv Gandhi Charitable Trust in Ullawas, Haryana, saying her concerns were limited to environmental issues in Aravalli area.
The celebrated painter said she was shocked to see news reports that she was supposedly responsible for "leading" a farmers' agitation in Haryana and that the Trust's eye hospital was by implication being targeted by her.
"More than 65 petitioners have been clubbed together in the Haryana High Court protesting against the acquisition of our farmland. I am only one of them. I had never heard of this eye hospital and didn't even know where it was," Menon said in a statement issued today.
"It is also a patent untruth, that I have been leading a farmers' agitation. I don't even know any of the other petitioners or farmers. My petition is primarily on the ground that the development for which acquisition is being conducted is being done without any consideration of the environment, namely the Aravalli forests and a seasonal jheel (lake), in Ghatta village," she said.
Anjolie Menon Distances Herself from Land Controversy
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Finance Minister Announces Slew Of Measures To Boost Economy Amid Slowdown
- WATCH: Decoding What Nirmala Sitharaman's Announcements To Boost Economy Mean
- Death By Debt: Indian Businesses Are Devastated, Tax Terror Adds To Woes
- PV Sindhu Not Smart, Says Kim Ji Hyun, Korean Coach Behind Badminton Star's Course Correction
- Should We Encourage Kuccha Receipts? Institutional Cleansing Part Of Improving Business Environment
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- Home, Vehicle, Other Retail Loans To Become Cheaper: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- SC To Hear Chidambaram's Appeal Against Arrest On Monday
- New India Will Not Allow Loot Of Money: PM Modi To Indian Diaspora In France
- Karnataka: Political Slugfest Erupts Between Congress, JD(S) As Siddaramaiah, Deve Gowda Trade Barbs
- Sindhu Assured Of Fifth Medal At Badminton Worlds
- Live, Windies vs India, 1st Test, Day 2, North Sound, Antigua
- FATF Asia-Pacific Group Puts Pakistan In 'Enhanced Blacklist'
- Roti Served With Salt As Mid-Day Meal For Primary School Students In UP