Beginning a new era in the Indian cricket administration, former Test captain Anil Kumble was today elected as the President of the Karnataka State Cricket Association while former pace duo of Javagal Srinath and Venkatesh Prasad were elected as Secretary and Vice President respectively.
The trio were part of Indian cricket team's several memorable on-field wins and are all set to begin new innings.
The Kumble led group swept the polls as they won 21 out of 24 posts that went to polls, with the rest going to the Wodeyar group.
Kumble defeated Srikantadatta Narasimharaja Wodeyar, a scion of the Mysore Royal family and also incumbent President, by a margin of 43 votes.
Srinath defeated former umpire AV Jayaprakash, who was one of the on-field umpires when Kumble took 10 wickets in a Test innings in Delhi, by 245 votes.
Prasad, Roger Binny and Sadanand Mayya were elected Vice-Presidents.
Out of a total of 1490 members, 1080 cast their votes, while 214 out of the 229 member clubs voted.
Binny, who was re-elected to the post, said these elections will change the face of the cricket in the state.
"It's a land mark victory which will change the perception of sportsmen entering into the administration. Personally for me, this is one of the sweetest victories in an election," Binny, the hero of the 1983 World Cup wining Indian team, told PTI.
Asked about the aim of the new elected team, he said,"Cricket and cricketers will get the foremost priority. Our main endeavour will be to improve the standard of cricket in Karnataka and develop a great infrastructure at the grassroots level," Binny told
Anil Kumble Sweeps K'taka Cricket Association Polls
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Coronavirus: With Almost 1,000 Deaths, Italy Records Most Fatalities In A Day; Global Toll Crosses 25,000
- Hit By Coronavirus Lockdown, 90-Year-old Kajodi Trudges Home, 400 Km Away
- How State Governments Are Managing The Coronavirus Pandemic Amid 21-day Lockdown
- Indian Shot Putter Navin Chikara Fails Dope Test, Gets Four-Year Ban
- Why IND's Hockey Coach Reid Thinks COVID-19 A Blessing In Disguise
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Amid Lockdown, Many Countries Face Challenges To Repatriate Citizens
- UK PM Boris Johnson, Health Secretary Test Positive For Coronavirus
- 'Clear We Have Entered Recession': IMF Chief Amid Coronavirus Pandemic
- Stuck in Bangladesh, Kashmiri Students Seek Evacuation Amid Covid-19 Fears
- Hundreds Of Pets Abandoned After WHO Hoardings Trigger Panic
- Coronavirus: Stop Mass Exodus Of Labourers, MHA Asks States
- All Domestic Flights Suspended Till April 14, Says DGCA
- Tendulkar Donates 50 Lakh To Fight COVID-19