Beginning a new era in the Indian cricket administration, former Test captain Anil Kumble was today elected as the President of the Karnataka State Cricket Association while former pace duo of Javagal Srinath and Venkatesh Prasad were elected as Secretary and Vice President respectively.
The trio were part of Indian cricket team's several memorable on-field wins and are all set to begin new innings.
The Kumble led group swept the polls as they won 21 out of 24 posts that went to polls, with the rest going to the Wodeyar group.
Kumble defeated Srikantadatta Narasimharaja Wodeyar, a scion of the Mysore Royal family and also incumbent President, by a margin of 43 votes.
Srinath defeated former umpire AV Jayaprakash, who was one of the on-field umpires when Kumble took 10 wickets in a Test innings in Delhi, by 245 votes.
Prasad, Roger Binny and Sadanand Mayya were elected Vice-Presidents.
Out of a total of 1490 members, 1080 cast their votes, while 214 out of the 229 member clubs voted.
Binny, who was re-elected to the post, said these elections will change the face of the cricket in the state.
"It's a land mark victory which will change the perception of sportsmen entering into the administration. Personally for me, this is one of the sweetest victories in an election," Binny, the hero of the 1983 World Cup wining Indian team, told PTI.
Asked about the aim of the new elected team, he said,"Cricket and cricketers will get the foremost priority. Our main endeavour will be to improve the standard of cricket in Karnataka and develop a great infrastructure at the grassroots level," Binny told
Anil Kumble Sweeps K'taka Cricket Association Polls
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Finance Minister Announces Slew Of Measures To Boost Economy Amid Slowdown
- WATCH: Decoding What Nirmala Sitharaman's Announcements To Boost Economy Mean
- Death By Debt: Indian Businesses Are Devastated, Tax Terror Adds To Woes
- PV Sindhu Not Smart, Says Kim Ji Hyun, Korean Coach Behind Badminton Star's Course Correction
- Should We Encourage Kuccha Receipts? Institutional Cleansing Part Of Improving Business Environment
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- Home, Vehicle, Other Retail Loans To Become Cheaper: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- SC To Hear Chidambaram's Appeal Against Arrest On Monday
- New India Will Not Allow Loot Of Money: PM Modi To Indian Diaspora In France
- Karnataka: Political Slugfest Erupts Between Congress, JD(S) As Siddaramaiah, Deve Gowda Trade Barbs
- Sindhu Assured Of Fifth Medal At Badminton Worlds
- Live, Windies vs India, 1st Test, Day 2, North Sound, Antigua
- FATF Asia-Pacific Group Puts Pakistan In 'Enhanced Blacklist'
- Roti Served With Salt As Mid-Day Meal For Primary School Students In UP