Ridiculing separatist leader Asiya Andrabi who is seeking Indian passport for her son's studies in Malaysia, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah today termed it as "sheer hypocrisy" which shows the gulf between what separatists say and what they do.
"She (Andrabi) has filed an affidavit seeking an Indian passport for her son to go to Malaysia for studies", Abdullah said adding it was "sheer hypocrisy and shows the difference in what they (separatists) say and what they do."
"She wants to take her son out of the Valley for pursuing studies when other children there are unable to go to schools and colleges due to ongoing violence", Abdullah told reporters here.
About National Conference's demand for autonomy for Jammu and Kashmir, Omar ruled out any amendment in the autonomy document as it had been passed by the state assembly.
However, he said, the party is not taking an extreme posture on it as well, adding this was only the starting point for NC for holding talks with the Centre.
"Our stand is that let us begin talks and during the course of it see what can be mutually agreeable", he said.
The Chief Minister also made it clear that it was not possible to pursue single track of autonomy between the Centre and the state.
It was more important to look at internal autonomy within the regions and sub-regions in order to dispel any impression among the regions being discriminated, he said, adding this is possible only with devolution of powers as soon as possible.
A beginning in this direction can be made with the holding of panchayat and local bodies elections, he said.
Ruling out revocation of Armed Forces Special powers Act (AFSPA), Abdullah said he has asked security forces to exercise maximum restraint in order to avoid civilian casualties.
"There is no question of AFSPA getting revoked at this point of time," he said, adding that "however, what we are looking at is to remove certain areas from the purview of this Act where militancy has become a thing of the past".
"At the same time, we are pursuing with the Centre about the possibility of amending AFSPA by taking out draconian components so as to make it a humane Act", Omar said.
Referring to violence in Kashmir Valley, he said he has issued strict instructions to security forces and police to exercise maximum restraint while dealing with crowds so that there is no loss of life.
Omar said when there is no loss of life over a period of time, people will gradually switch over to normalcy.
To a question on the presence of of militants among stone- pelting crowds and firing on security forces, Omar said forces have been asked to exercise restraint even in such situations.
"The situation in Kashmir has been a matter of concern for all of us and government is making all out efforts to restore law and order and normalcy", the Chief Minister said.
Andrabi Seeking Indian Passport for Son Hypocrisy: Omar
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Modi Traps Mamata With A Googly, Didi's Sweet Relationship With Bengal Muslims May Get Bitter
- Will Go To Root Of Allegations Of Fixers At Work: SC On Claims Of Conspiracy To Frame CJI
- How ND Tiwari's Son Rohit Was Killed By His Wife Apoorva, Reveal Cops
- Modi The Man, Made For The Camera
- IPL 2019, RCB Vs KXIP: ABD Special Keeps Bengaluru's Playoff Hopes Alive
- Modi The Man, Made For The Camera
- In Politics, Sunny Deol Will Have To Wait For Taarikh After Taarikh To Get Things Done
- Leaders Know Political Rhetoric Needs To Be Entertaining, Otherwise Rallies Are Boring
- Chennai’s Famous Historian S. Muthiah Is No More
- 'Let's Ask The Congress Spokesperson...Wait, Where's The Congress Spokesperson? We Just Lost The Link'
- Why NaMo TV Should Not Be Banned
- Ban On TikTok App Lifted By Madras High Court, But With Conditions. Read Here
- Pakistani LeT Terrorist Arrested In Kashmir
- Sri Lankan President Asks Defence Secretary, Police Chief To Resign Over Easter Sunday Bombings
- Retire Your Candidate From Begusarai: CPI Appeals To Tejashwi Yadav For Kanhaiya Kumar
- How Twinkle Khanna Reacted To PM Narendra Modi's Comments About Her Criticism Of Him
- WATCH: MS Dhoni's Lightning-Quick Stumping Stuns David Warner
- Congress Using 'Tantra Mantra' To Stop PM Narendra Modi: BJP
- WATCH: CCTV Footage Of Suicide Bombers Entering Sri Lanka's St Sebastian Church, Shangri-La Hotel