India-born celebrity fashion designer Anand Jon Alexander has pleaded not guilty to dozens of new charges of sexually assaulting at least nine women and underage girls here between 2002 and 2006 after being jailed for 59 years by a Los Angeles court for similar crimes.
The hearing in New York is separate from the case against 36-year-old Alexander in California, which concluded in 2008 with the designer being convicted of sexually assaulting seven women and girls and receiving a sentence of 59 years life-imprisonment. The girls were as young as 14.
In 2007, Alexander had been charged in New York but the case was in standby until the California case concluded.
The accused allegedly systematically molested women between the ages of 15 and 26 by using drugs and the opportunity of modelling to lure women during the period between 2002 and 2006 in New York.
The prosecutors also introduced new charges on yesterday, stating that two women became physically helpless because of the drugs the accused had given them, and again two of his victims were under-age.
Wearing a white T-shirt, dark glasses and khaki pants, Alexander said nothing but "not guilty."
The New York charges could lead to 25 years in prison.
Alexander had maintained his innocence throughout the California case as well. His lawyers had claimed that many of women were lying about what happened to them.
Alexander was on his way up in the fashion industry when the charges against him surfaced, making an appearance on "America's Next Top Model" and working with celebrities like Paris Hilton.
Police began investigations in 2007 after a woman filed a complaint about being sexually assaulted in his apartment.
Anand Jon Pleads Not Guilty to New Charges
Betwa Sharma/New York
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Poll Sop: Nitish Kumar’s Standard Operating Procedure
- Mike Pence and Kamala Harris Battle It Out At The US Vice Presidential Debate
- In Naveen’s Crosshairs: Vengeful Odisha Govt Goes After Leading Odia News Channel
- 'You Can't Stop Thefts Till Thieves Repent': R. Ashwin On 'Mankading'
- Victorian Ace: Dean Jones Was A True-Bred Australian Who Made Grit His Middle Name
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- China Will Pay A Big Price For Spreading Covid-19 Globally: Trump
- Wishes Pour In From PM Modi, President Kovind
- Batting Let Bowlers Down, Says CSK Skipper Dhoni After Yet Another Defeat
- ‘India’s Coronavirus Fight Is People Driven,’ Says PM Modi
- Former CBI Director Ashwani Kumar Dies By Suicide
- Rhea Chakraborty Walks Out Of Byculla Jail After Bombay HC Grants Her Bail
- Atal Tunnel: Himachal To Beef Up Security
- Clinical Tsitsipas Makes History