Comments made by the senior advocate and constitutional expert on the Ayodhya verdict
The judgment does not fail to astonish. It is, in many senses, quite an astonishing judgment. As far as the title suit is concerned, one question that the people of India will ask is that in 1992, was there a Masjid that was destroyed there, or not. If the answer to that question, which we all saw with our own eyes, is that a masjid was destroyed, then the legal question as to whom the site belonged to should have been fairly and squarely answered.
Because it is clear from the rulings in the 1940s that it was the Sunni Waqf Board which is the owner, and the question of dismissing the suit that had been instituted by the Sunni Waqf Board is, to say the least, a little strange.
If we are sitting with some kind of Panchayati justice and trying to find a compromise solution then certainly there is no difficulty. But the problem over the past few years, the past decade, possibly a century, has been that the communities have not come to a conclusion that the property can be divided in any particular way.
Therefore we will get back to the status quo ante where the Court is saying you divide the property and we are asking you to divide the property within three months. It can't be an injunction that comes, in fact, from the court itself.
The court has gone into a question which it is ill-equipped to answer. It is a question of theology and a question of history.
If this panchayati solution is to be endured, the degree of Muslim
entitlement should have been left intact so that the site belonged to
The destruction of the masjid was akin to the demolition of the Buddha
statues at Bamiyan in Afghanistan, and people would say that India’s
secular justice was majoritarian in nature without lending dignity to
An Astonishing Judgment: Rajeev Dhavan
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Hateras And Us: Dalit Death Symptom Of Graver Malaise
- I&B Ministry Can Cancel Channel's Licence: Manish Tewari
- SRH Vs KXIP: Rashid Khan Reflects On Damage Scoreboard Pressure Can Do
- Republic TV Among 3 Channels Being Probed For TRP Manipulation: Mumbai Police
- How Ram Vilas Paswan's Death May Impact Bihar Assembly Elections
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- 13-Year-Old Girl Gang-Raped In Greater Noida, 3 Detained
- Hathras Case: Accused Claims Victim's Family Was 'Against Our Friendship'
- Former CBI Director Ashwani Kumar’s Suicide Note Hints At Depression
- French Open: Teen Sensation Swiatek Storms Into Maiden Grand Slam Final
- Farmers’ Outfits Call For Nationwide ‘Chaka Jam’ On November 3
- Poll Sop: Nitish Kumar’s Standard Operating Procedure
- Bihar Elections: Owaisi, Kushwaha Float New Front Of Six Parties
- Cricket Australia Should Not Bow Down To BCCI: Allan Border Slams CA