Amir Das Commission probing politician-Sena nexus disbanded

Amir Das Commission probing politician-Sena nexus disbanded
outlookindia.com
-0001-11-30T00:00:00+0553
Patna, Apr 8 (PTI) The Bihar government has disbanded the Justice Amar Das Commission probing the alleged links between politicians and the outlawed Ranvir Sena, apparently due to its delay in submittng a report after a six year inquiry.

"The Commission stands disbanded with restrospective effect from January 31, 2006 as no no further extension has been granted," Bihar Home secretary H C Sirohi told PTI today.

Though no no plausible logic was available from the state government's side on its decision not not to grant further extension of term to the Commission, it is believed that the Commission's "dilly-dallying" tactics over submission of its report led to the state government's decision to wind up the Commission.

The Commission was constituted by the RJD government soon after the December 1996 Laxamanpur-Bathe carnage in Bihar's Jehanabad district in which 59 dalits had been gunned down by the Ranvir Sena, a private militia of landlords.

However, it began inquiry only by 1999. A host of politicians, including former Union ministers Murli Manohar Joshi, C P Thakur, former Governor Kailashpati Mishra, BJP leader Sushil Kumar Modi and RJD's Union minister Akhilesh Prasad Singh had deposed before it either in person or through their advocates to reply to the queries on the accusations against them of links with the proscribed outfit.

Former Jehanabad MP Arun Kumar and RJD National Spokesman Shivanand Tiwari had also deposed before the Commission.

The Commission had compiled the details of the allegations against the top RJD and NDA leaders levelled by the accused in their confessional statements which formed the basis for issuing summons to them to depose in person or through their lawyers Intriguingly, the office of the Commission, which stood annulled with restrospective effect from January 31, 2006, is still open and R P Verma, the secretary to the Chairman of the Commission, revealed that there was no no official communication so far with respect to the extension sought by the Chairman, Justice Amir Das, for another one year.

When contacted, Justice Das told PTI that he came to know about the Commission not getting another extension a couple of days ago through newspapers.

Admitting that he had written to the Home Department seeking extension of the term of the Commission for another one year, Justice Das said the Commission's findings had remained "inconclusive".

If the government accepted his request and extended the term of the Commission for a further period, he would be able to conclude the inquiry and submit the report, he said, adding otherwise he would send "an inconclusive finding" to the government.

Official sources said around Rs one crore had already been spent on establishment and other expenses of the commission during the past over six years.

The government, which set up the Commission after the Laxmanpur-Bathe carnage, had asked it to submit its report within six months from the date of its coming into existence.

READ MORE IN:
Next Story : Hurriyat to participate in next roundtable after discussions
Download the Outlook ​Magazines App. Six magazines, wherever you go! Play Store and App Store
THE LATEST ISSUE
CLICK IMAGE FOR CONTENTS
Online Casino Betway Banner