Javed Miandad, whose son is married to underworld don Dawood Ibrahim's daughter, today cancelled his visit to Delhi in the wake of a raging controversy in India over giving him visa for the trip.
Former Pakistan captain Miandad, who was to watch the third and final ODI in Delhi, cancelled his visit to avoid a controversy, a PCB official said on condition of anonymity.
The official said the PCB did not want the focus to move away from cricket to other matters.
Ever since news came out that Miandad, whose son Junaid married the fugitive Mumbai don's daughter Mahrukh in Dubai in 2005, a controversy broke out in India over government giving him visa for the visit.
The Indian government, however, justified the decision saying Miandad was not on the 'negative list' of those not to be given visas.
BJP and Shiv Sena had yesterday lashed out at the Government for granting visa to Miandad, asking how allowing a person related to Ibrahim would help improve bilateral ties.
External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid today said there are four categories of people who have been given visas.
"People who have return ticket and want to watch the match. People who are players. People who are on (Pakistan Cricket) Board," he said.
Khurshid had yesterday said, "It's a decision that has been taken by the Home Ministry. And I am sure they would have taken inputs from all concerned agencies and from our mission in Pakistan. I am sure they would have followed all procedures."
Minister of State for Home R P N Singh had said, "He is a well known cricketer. His visa application papers were in order and valid and that is why the government has decided to give him visa."
There had been reports before a series in 2005 that a request for a visa by the batting great was turned down by the Indian government.
Amid Controversy, Javed Miandad Cancels Visit to India
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Finance Minister Announces Slew Of Measures To Boost Economy Amid Slowdown
- WATCH: Decoding What Nirmala Sitharaman's Announcements To Boost Economy Mean
- Death By Debt: Indian Businesses Are Devastated, Tax Terror Adds To Woes
- PV Sindhu Not Smart, Says Kim Ji Hyun, Korean Coach Behind Badminton Star's Course Correction
- Should We Encourage Kuccha Receipts? Institutional Cleansing Part Of Improving Business Environment
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- Home, Vehicle, Other Retail Loans To Become Cheaper: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- SC To Hear Chidambaram's Appeal Against Arrest On Monday
- New India Will Not Allow Loot Of Money: PM Modi To Indian Diaspora In France
- Karnataka: Political Slugfest Erupts Between Congress, JD(S) As Siddaramaiah, Deve Gowda Trade Barbs
- Sindhu Assured Of Fifth Medal At Badminton Worlds
- Live, Windies vs India, 1st Test, Day 2, North Sound, Antigua
- FATF Asia-Pacific Group Puts Pakistan In 'Enhanced Blacklist'
- Roti Served With Salt As Mid-Day Meal For Primary School Students In UP