Popularly known as 'Maharaja Saheb', Punjab Congress chief Amarinder Singh is aiming for a hat-trick from this constituency in the January 30 state Assembly election.
Two-time MLA and a descendant of Patiala royal family, Amarinder is pitted against Surjit Singh Kohli of the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) whom he drubbed in the 2007 election.
As the former Chief Minister is busy campaigning for his party candidates at other places, the task of garnering support for him has been taken up by his family members led by his MP wife Preneet Kaur and daughter Jai Inder Kaur.
"I may not be able to spend much time in Patiala assembly segment as I have to go to every assembly segment across Punjab to campaign for party candidates," Amarinder says.
"Each resident and every voter in Patiala will be campaigning for me," he adds.
On the other hand, Kohli, a transporter, alleges that Amarinder is "inaccessible" and his wife has been running the show for the past 10 years.
The SAD candidate says he has got good response from the people of Patiala and they "will not fulfil the dream of Maharaja Saheb of accomplishing the hat-trick".
In 2002, Amarinder won the Patiala town seat by a margin of more than 33,000 votes humbling Sarup Singh Sehgal of SAD.
In 2007, he retained the seat by defeating Kohli by a huge margin of 32,750 votes.
Patiala is said to be a Congress stronghold with the party capturing the seat five times in the last seven Assembly elections.
Amarinder Singh Aims for Hat-Trick in Punjab Polls
THE LATEST ISSUE
- As Assam CM, Himanta Biswa Sarma Finally Lives His Dream
- Lockdown In Delhi Extended Till May 17: Arvind Kejriwal
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- 'Have Lost Courage’: YouTuber Rahul Vohra Dies Hours After Predicting His Death On Facebook
- Tamil Nadu's New Health Minister MA Subramanian Is Also A Marathon Runner
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Cong Leader Mallikarjun Kharge Urges PM Modi To Hold All-Party Meeting
- Talks For National Alliance Of Opposition Parties To Start Soon: Raut
- As India Battles The Virus, Let Us Not Weaken National Resolve
- Sikh Body Provides Oxygen Concentrators To Covid Patients
- Youth Congress President Steps Into Sonu Sood’s Shoes
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly