The family of Aman Kachroo, a medical student who died due to ragging, today said they were "not happy" with the quantum of punishment that has been given to the accused and will urge the government to appeal.
"We are not happy with the quantum of punishment that has been given to the accused. We feel that the quantum has diluted the message," Aman's father Rajendra Kachroo said in a statement.
Four medical students were today sentenced to four years in jail by a fast track court after they were held guilty of culpable homicide not amounting to murder for ragging to death their junior Aman at a medical institute in Himachal Pradesh last year.
Aman's father said one of the four accused has a "violent background".
"He started the entire episode and was the leader of the gang. He should have been given severest punishment. There should have been a distinction created between the ringleader and the rest. We will certainly consult the public prosecutor and request him to appeal against the quantum of punishment," the statement said.
Earlier in the day, when the accused were convicted, Aman's father had welcomed the decision.
"We welcome the verdict. It is a good day as it conveys the correct message that ragging and crime in any guise will not be tolerated any more. That the verdict has come in less than two years is an achievement in itself," he had said.
Aman Kachroo's Family Unhappy with the Verdict
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Clueless Congress Stumbles From One Poll Defeat To Another
- Cong To Form Fact-Finding Team To Analyse Poll Debacle
- Corpses Found Floating In Ganga
- 1st Priority Is To Contain Covid: CM Himanta Biswa Sarma
- Himachal: Cyber Thugs Target Covid Patients With False Promises Of Hospital Beds, Remdesivir
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- India's Battle Against Covid: Grim Reaper Stalks The Land
- Why High Antibody Doesn’t Guarantee Protection From Covid
- Lancet Slams Modi Govt for Stoking a ‘Self-Inflicted National Catastrophe’
- Can You Get Covid After Vaccination?
- In A First, An Independent Candidate In TN Releases Election Expenses
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- 'Sushil Has Tarnished Wrestling's Image,' LOC Served After Murder
- Virat Kohli, Ishant Sharma Get First Dose Of COVID-19 Vaccine