Outgoing Uttarakhand Governor Margaret Alva has ordered the release of 19 prisoners lodged in different jails of the hill state on humanitarian grounds.
Alva ordered that all those prisoners who have completed one third of their imprisonment and are above the age of 75 [males] and 70 [women] should immediately be released, a Raj Bhawan statement said tonight.
Accordingly, all the 19 prisoners are being released from jails, it said.
Alva left Dehra Dun this afternoon by train for Rajasthan where she will be sworn in as new Governor on May 12.
Alva's Parting Gesture: Release 19 Prisoners
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Coronavirus Lockdown: In Many Parts Of India, Insulin, Other Refrigerated Medicine Short In Supply
- Coronavirus Pandemic Live Updates: India Death Toll Rises To 19, Cases Climb To 834
- Coronavirus Lockdown: 'Money Will Last 2-3 More Days. God Knows What Will Happen After That'
- How State Governments Are Managing The Coronavirus Pandemic Amid 21-day Lockdown
- Why IND's Hockey Coach Reid Thinks COVID-19 A Blessing In Disguise
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Hit By COVID-19 Lockdown, 90-yr-old Kajodi Trudges Home, 400 Km Away
- UK PM Boris Johnson, Health Secretary Test Positive For Coronavirus
- 'Clear We Have Entered Recession': IMF Chief Amid Coronavirus Pandemic
- Stuck in Bangladesh, Kashmiri Students Seek Evacuation Amid Covid-19 Fears
- Hundreds Of Pets Abandoned After WHO Hoardings Trigger Panic
- Coronavirus: Stop Mass Exodus Of Labourers, MHA Asks States
- Two Olympic Champions Charged With Doping
- Miandad Calls For Inquiry Into Dodgy Awarding Of PSL Streaming Rights