Outgoing Uttarakhand Governor Margaret Alva has ordered the release of 19 prisoners lodged in different jails of the hill state on humanitarian grounds.
Alva ordered that all those prisoners who have completed one third of their imprisonment and are above the age of 75 [males] and 70 [women] should immediately be released, a Raj Bhawan statement said tonight.
Accordingly, all the 19 prisoners are being released from jails, it said.
Alva left Dehra Dun this afternoon by train for Rajasthan where she will be sworn in as new Governor on May 12.
Alva's Parting Gesture: Release 19 Prisoners
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Lalu Yadav Will Not Be Able To Campaign In Bihar Polls Despite Getting Bail
- RR Vs DC: Jaiswal Runs Iyer Out, Delhi In A Spot; 70/3 (8)
- Hateras And Us: Dalit Death Symptom Of Graver Malaise
- If There’s Evidence Of TRP Manipulations, I&B Ministry Can Cancel Channel's Licence: Manish Tewari
- Bhima Koregaon Case: NIA Files Charge-Sheet Against Eight People
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- ‘Journalism In Ladakh Is Growing’, Says New Head Of Ladakh's Press Club
- Indra Nooyi Listed As Member In Prince William’s Earth Prize Council
- Staff Crunch Halts Airing Of Modi's Mann Ki Baat In 10 Countries
- Rajasthan: 50-Year-Old Priest Set Ablaze After Dispute With Land Mafias
- India Test-Fires Its First Anti-Radiation Missile 'Rudram-1'
- IPL 2020: Sehwag's 'Government Job' Comment Sums Up CSK's Worries
- The Inspiring Tale Of Baba, Dhaba And Social Media
- ISL: East Bengal Appoint Liverpool Legend Robbie Fowler As Head Coach