Al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri is still in Pakistan, a Pentagon official said today, following the release of a video in which Osama bin Laden's successor blasts the United States.
"We have no information to indicate that he is anywhere else than in Pakistan," Pentagon spokesman George Little said.
Zawahiri, a veteran Egyptian militant and long-time Al-Qaeda number two, took over the jihadist network after bin Laden was killed in a clandestine raid by US Navy commandos in Pakistan on May 2.
Like his slain Saudi-born co-conspirator, Zawahiri has been in hiding since the United States declared a "war on terror" after the September 11, 2001 attacks, and invaded Afghanistan whose Taliban leaders had harbored bin Laden.
Zawahiri -- in the 62-minute video entitled "The Dawn of Imminent Victory," and which featured a speech by bin Laden -- said he was praying this year's Arab Spring would be followed by a "gloomy, bitter-cold American winter."
"The popular revolutions, he stated, are a form of defeat for the United States, just as the 9/11 attacks and its alleged lack of success in Afghanistan and Iraq were also defeats," the US monitoring service SITE said.
Zawahiri was only shown in a still picture in the video, which was released by Al-Qaeda's media arm, as-Sahab, and posted on jihadist websites on Monday.
The Pentagon said the footage of bin Laden in the video appeared to be the same material found in the US raid on his Pakistan hideout in May, which Washington released but without its soundtrack.
Al-Qaeda Leader Zawahiri in Pakistan: Pentagon
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Finance Minister Announces Slew Of Measures To Boost Economy Amid Slowdown
- WATCH: Decoding What Nirmala Sitharaman's Announcements To Boost Economy Mean
- Death By Debt: Indian Businesses Are Devastated, Tax Terror Adds To Woes
- PV Sindhu Not Smart, Says Kim Ji Hyun, Korean Coach Behind Badminton Star's Course Correction
- Should We Encourage Kuccha Receipts? Institutional Cleansing Part Of Improving Business Environment
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- Home, Vehicle, Other Retail Loans To Become Cheaper: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- SC To Hear Chidambaram's Appeal Against Arrest On Monday
- New India Will Not Allow Loot Of Money: PM Modi To Indian Diaspora In France
- Karnataka: Political Slugfest Erupts Between Congress, JD(S) As Siddaramaiah, Deve Gowda Trade Barbs
- Sindhu Assured Of Fifth Medal At Badminton Worlds
- Live, Windies vs India, 1st Test, Day 2, North Sound, Antigua
- FATF Asia-Pacific Group Puts Pakistan In 'Enhanced Blacklist'
- Roti Served With Salt As Mid-Day Meal For Primary School Students In UP