Al-Qaeda chief Ayman al-Zawahiri has asked Pakistanis to revolt against their government and military by staging uprisings on the pattern of 'Arab Spring' and labelled the nation's army as "slaves of America".
Believed to be in deep hiding, Zawahiri surfaced for the first time in months to post a ten minute video uploaded to jihadist forums, saying that the Pakistan army was in "partnership with America" in a war against Islam.
"Cannot a million free people rise from amongst the Muslims of Pakistan to stage a protest against the Generals of Pakistan Army so as to force them to stop their treachery", Zawahiri, 60, said in the video, not dated.
The Egyptian cleric now heading the al-Qaeda said his groups would not release an elderly American developmental expert Warren Weinstein, captured in Pakistan last month.
"O people of Pakistan! The Arab world around you is surging in a wave of revolution. Tyrants and oppressive rulers are falling. Why are you not making any move? Why are you not deposing these tyrants? Why are you not toppling these treacherous bribe takers?", Zawahiri was quoted as saying by CNN.
Zawahiri shown on the video standing in front of a green curtain, asked Pakistanis to follow the example of the Arab Spring as the military could not be expected to turn against America, despite a deadly US strike against Pakistani troops in November.
Claiming that his fighters had taken an American as hostage, Zawahiri said, "He will not return to his family until our demands for the release of Aafia Siddiqui, Sheikh Omar Abdul Rahman and the family of Sheikh Osama bin Laden were released."
Long al-Qaeda's number 2, Zawahiri took over the helm of the group after bin Laden was killed in May 2011 in a US special forces raid.
Al-Qaeda Chief Calls Pak to Revolt Against Govt, Army
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Finance Minister Announces Slew Of Measures To Boost Economy Amid Slowdown
- WATCH: Decoding What Nirmala Sitharaman's Announcements To Boost Economy Mean
- Death By Debt: Indian Businesses Are Devastated, Tax Terror Adds To Woes
- PV Sindhu Not Smart, Says Kim Ji Hyun, Korean Coach Behind Badminton Star's Course Correction
- Should We Encourage Kuccha Receipts? Institutional Cleansing Part Of Improving Business Environment
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- Home, Vehicle, Other Retail Loans To Become Cheaper: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- SC To Hear Chidambaram's Appeal Against Arrest On Monday
- New India Will Not Allow Loot Of Money: PM Modi To Indian Diaspora In France
- Karnataka: Political Slugfest Erupts Between Congress, JD(S) As Siddaramaiah, Deve Gowda Trade Barbs
- Sindhu Assured Of Fifth Medal At Badminton Worlds
- Live, Windies vs India, 1st Test, Day 2, North Sound, Antigua
- FATF Asia-Pacific Group Puts Pakistan In 'Enhanced Blacklist'
- Roti Served With Salt As Mid-Day Meal For Primary School Students In UP